The Ankh Shield is a Hardmode shield accessory which provides immunity to (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 12 / (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) 10 different debuffs, knockback immunity, and an additional 4 defense. It is crafted from an Obsidian Shield and an Ankh Charm at the Tinkerer's Workshop.
Consisting of (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 12 / (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) 11 different ingredients, the Ankh Shield entails one of the most complex crafting trees in Terraria, beaten only by the Cell Phone(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), Shellphone(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) and Zenith(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions).
When equipped, the Ankh Shield provides immunity to all of the following debuffs:
- The Ankh Shield is the end result of combining (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 12 / (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) 11 individual accessories over the course of eight crafting operations. Its original constituent accessories are the Bezoar, Vitamins, Cobalt Shield, Obsidian Skull, Nazar, Blindfold, (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Pocket Mirror, Trifold Map, Fast Clock, Megaphone, Armor Polish, and Adhesive Bandage.
- Not all items that protect from certain debuffs are used in the recipe for the Ankh Shield:
- Despite the tooltip, there are many debuffs that the player can still suffer, especially higher-tier versions of the debuffs they are protected from: Acid Venom for Poisoned, Cursed Inferno and On Fire! for Burning, Blackout for Darkness, Frozen for Chilled, Withered Armor(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) (or Ichor) for Broken Armor. Of course, these higher-tier debuffs are all significantly rarer than the weaker forms, and the Ankh Shield does cut down sharply on dangerous inconveniences while adventuring. That being said, the Shield actually prevents less than half of all enemy-afflicted debuffs in the game.
- There are several post-Golem debuffs the Ankh Shield does not protect from: Electrified(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), inflicted by Tesla Turrets during the Martian Madness event; Distorted(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), inflicted by Alien Queens while fighting the Vortex Pillar; and Moon Bite(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), inflicted by the Moon Lord.
• “Obtain the Ankh Shield, the finest protection from unpleasant maladies and ailments.”
Obtain the Ankh Shield
. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- The Ankh Shield does not require any items from Hardmode bosses (but does require Hardmode), so it can be obtained before defeating them.
- While it does not directly affect the Feral Bite(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) debuff, the Shield blocks all of its side effects, rendering it mostly harmless against the player, and the 20% damage bonus the Feral Bite gives can be used.
- The post-Plantera Paladin's Shield offers an extra 2 defense and a multiplayer buff, and its Frozen Shield upgrade adds a 25% damage reduction, but do not prevent common debuffs. As such, the Frozen Shield is more advantageous for most boss battles.
- Using an Obsidian Skin Potion renders the player immune to the On Fire! debuff, which the shield does not provide.
- The Ankh Shield can synergize with the Brand of the Inferno(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) to block attacks, granting the Striking Moment buff.
- The Ankh Shield can be used to defuse active debuffs if it is left in the players inventory and quickly swapped with a currently equipped accessory, allowing the player to use other shields or accessories in place of the Ankh Shield when exploring or in combat. This is the main practical use of the Ankh Shield if the knockback immunity is not needed.
- The Ankh Shield takes the Obsidian Shield to craft, meaning crafting the Obsidian Skull Rose or Magma Skull makes it unable to craft the Obsidian Shield without crafting another Obsidian Skull.
- Finding the Aether(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) biome makes it far easier to craft the Ankh Shield, since every base immunity accessory can be Shimmered to get the other accessory it pairs with. In particular, it may be easier to get:
- The ankh, the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic symbol that is depicted in the shield, was most commonly used in writing and in art to represent the word for "life" and, by extension, as a symbol of life itself.
- The Ankh seen in game in the Ankh Charm and Ankh Shield moreso resembles a crux ansata, a variation of the Christian cross inspired by the Egyptian Ankh which was used in the Holy Roman Empire. Additionally, the Ankh Shield is the final upgrade to the Cobalt Shield, which features a simple Christian cross on the front. These two facts could be a subtle reference to how the Roman Empire took over ancient Egypt, but adopted some of its symbols and traditions.
- (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Of all accessories, the Ankh Shield and the Celestial Stone offer the sixth most base defense, being bested by the Paladin's Shield and Frozen Shield(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), which have a base defense of 6, the Flesh Knuckles(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) and Berserker's Glove(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), which have 8 base defense, and the Hero Shield(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), which has a base defense of 10.
- The only crafted item in the build path not crafted at the Tinkerer's Workshop is the Obsidian Skull, which is crafted at a Furnace instead.
- Its components sell for more than the shield itself does.
- In the Old-gen console version and Nintendo version, the Ankh Shield (requiring 11 base ingredients and 7 crafting operations) has the most complex crafting tree. Although the Music Box (Title)(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions) required one more base ingredient, it only needed one crafting operation.
- Despite giving immunity to Chilled, the crafting chain for the Ankh Shield does not include the Hand Warmer. The shield also does not give immunity to Frozen.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Now provides immunity to the Stoned debuff.
- Added an achievement for crafting the Ankh Shield.