|Debuff tooltip||Decreased light vision|
|Coins||3 SCPre-Hardmode: 7 SC50 CCHardmode: 6 SC|
The Demon (and the Arch Demon on Old-gen console and ) is an enemy found in The Underworld. It attacks by summoning volleys of four spinning purple blades that accelerate towards the player, which are similar those fired by the Demon Scythe spell that it has a chance to drop. These blades have a chance to inflict Darkness and are stopped by any block, but cannot be destroyed with weapons.
Like other Underworld enemies, Demons are immune to lava. A rarer variation of the Demon is the Voodoo Demon.
- (3DS version) The Crystal Storm is an extremely effective weapon in pre-Hardmode, and even well into Hardmode. Obtaining it early from Arch Demons may be worth the lengthy farming.
- In the real world, demons are supernatural beings prevalent historically in religion, occultism, literature, fiction, mythology, and folklore; as well as in media such as comics, video games, movies and television series.
- Despite inflicting the Darkness debuff, Demons do not drop the Blindfold.
- The Bestiary entry for the Demon: "Demons are the infantry of the underworld. Unlike their lesser brothers, they cast shadow magic rather than hell magic."
- "Lesser brothers" likely refers to the Fire Imp enemy.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Damage reduced from 50 to 32.
- Now repeatedly swoops at the player and flies away, rather than remaining close by, and does not fire while blocked.
- Console 1.02:
- Both Demons can now drop their own respective banners.
- Arch Demon's sprite updated. Old sprite was:
- Console-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 1.0.6 along with Arch Demon.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with mechanics from Desktop 126.96.36.199 along with Arch Demon.