|AI Type||Bird AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 74, 297, 298
The Bird, Blue Jay, and Cardinal are flying critters that can spawn in the Forest biome. Much like the Vulture, Birds remain still until approached, whereupon they will fly away. Birds will occasionally chirp when nearby.
Birds have only 5 health and no defense, and can be damaged by other enemies and players.
Birds can be caught with any Bug Net to be carried around in the inventory and released later, or crafted into animated decorative furniture (Bird / Blue Jay / Cardinal Cage). Once crafted, the Birds cannot be released again.
Birds can be spawned by the Bird Statue, however statue-spawned critters cannot be caught with any Bug Net, and will disappear in a puff of smoke when the player attempts to do so.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, there is a
0.25*1/400 (0.25%) chance for a Gold Bird to spawn in place of an ordinary one.
Internal Item ID: 2015
Internal Item ID: 2016
Internal Item ID: 2017
|Bird Cage||By Hand|
|Blue Jay Cage|
|Roasted Bird||Cooking Pot|
|Bird Statue||Heavy Work Bench and Ecto Mist|
- Birds always fly about 20 tiles above the ground.
- The Bird Banner only drops from the regular Bird, not from the Blue Jay or Cardinal.
- On the Nintendo version, all three Birds have no sell value.
- Bird Statues spawn Birds when hooked up to a wire and are an excellent way to farm Bird Banners.
- The regular Bird has black legs in its item sprite, whereas as a critter and in a placed cage they are yellow.
- The Bird, Bunny, Goldfish, and Penguin are the only four critters that have banners of themselves.
- On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, a cloud in the shape of a Bird can occasionally be seen in the background.
- Those familiar with birds will realize that "one of these things is not like the others". The sound files indicate that all three are meant to be songbirds; the white "generic" bird can pass for various species, including some songbirds, but the other two represent real species. And while the Cardinal is a songbird, the Blue jay is not -- it is a relative of crows and ravens, with a raucous voice and an aggressive disposition. (The Bluebird is an actual songbird.)
- Bird: "A simple white bird which enjoys a calm sunny day."
- Blue Jay: "This little blue bird came looking for worms."
- Cardinal: "A rare, red-crested friend of the forest."
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Now used to craft the Roasted Bird.
- Desktop 1.3.5: NPC sprite of the regular Bird updated.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Can now be used to craft Bird Statues.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Sprite of the regular Bird updated.
- Cardinal now sells for 750.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Birds are now more likely to spawn in mornings. Each type has several songs to sing.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced Blue Jay and Cardinal.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.