Jump to navigation Jump to search
|AI Type||Fighter AI|
|Banner||Cochineal Beetle Banner|
- Internal NPC ID: 217
The Cochineal Beetle is an enemy that spawns rarely in the Cavern layer. It drops the Red Husk, which can be used to make Red Dye. The first part of its name is pronounced kaa-chuh-neel.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
- Despite the Cochineal Beetles' primary purpose being to provide dye crafting material, they can do substantial damage, especially to newer players who mistake them for passive critters.
- The real-world cochineal is an insect native to South America and Mexico. It is used to create the red dye known as cochineal or carmine, which is mainly used in food and cosmetics. The cochineal is actually a scaled insect, rather than a beetle.
- The Bestiary entry for the Cochineal Beetle: "Found in deep, dark caverns, these large beetles are sought out for the deep, blood-red secretions stored in their scaly exoskeleton."
- Desktop 1.4.4: Reduced rarity from 2 to 1 in the Lifeform Analyzer.
- Desktop 1.4.1: Increased rarity from 1 to 2 in the Lifeform Analyzer.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Sprite updated.
- Can now be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Can now drop its own respective banner. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Can now drop its own respective banner. ()
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced, but doesn't drop the Red Husk.