Crimtane Ore is a pre-Hardmode ore. It is The Crimson counterpart to The Corruption's Demonite Ore, and will not appear naturally in Corruption worlds. It can be found very rarely in small veins Underground in worlds that contain Crimson, however larger quantities can be obtained from the Brain of Cthulhu boss, and from the Eye of Cthulhu (only in worlds containing Crimson). Crimtane Ore emits a faint red glow when placed, similar to Demonite Ore's faint blue glow.
The pickaxe power required to mine Crimtane Ore changes with location. When below 0ft in elevation, a Gold Pickaxe or better is needed, otherwise any pickaxe can be used.
- Crimtane Ore does not spread the Crimson. This rule applies both to the pre-Hardmode and Hardmode stages.
- While Demonite Ore can be found in large groups in Corrupt chasms, Crimtane Ore does not have a boosted rate in Crimson chasms.
• “Mine your first nugget of ore with a pickaxe.”
Mine your first ore
. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- Crimtane Ore, and its counterpart Demonite Ore, can be mined extremely early-game with Bombs. They are both very rare, so this won't get much, but the small veins can add up over time. And since the ore glows, it can easily be seen even in unlit stone.
- If one is looking to make money, selling the Crimtane Ore dropped by the Eye of Cthulhu and Brain of Cthulhu will yield considerable amounts of gold. This method works at any point in the game, and gets better as the player progresses.
- One Crimtane Bar sells the same as 3 of the ore (39 SC). No value will be lost or gained when converting ore to bars.
- Desktop 1.3.1:
- Changed item texture from to .
- Changed block texture from to .
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Crafting recipe changed to 3 Crimtane ore instead of 4 Crimtane ore.
- Now used in the Crimtane Brick recipe.
- Desktop 1.2.1: No longer requires a Deathbringer Pickaxe or over to mine.