|Buff tooltip||Breathe water instead of air|
|Duration||4 minutes(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)|
2 minutes(Old-gen console and 3DS versions)
The Gills Potion is a buff potion which grants the Gills buff when consumed. The buff allows the player to breathe underwater, preventing them from drowning. This lasts for 4 minutes(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) / 2 minutes(Old-gen console and 3DS versions), but can be canceled at any time by right-clicking the icon (), by selecting the icon using Cycle Next/Previous Buff and then pressing Remove Buff (), by selecting the icon and canceling it in the equipment menu (), by double-tapping the buff icon (), or by canceling the buff from the buffs screen ().
- The Gills Potion will allow the player to survive while wearing a Fish Bowl.
- The player cannot drown in lava, thus negating this potion's usefulness for that purpose.
- The player will not be able to breathe air under the effects of the Gills Potion in a For the worthy world.
- For swimming in lava, the player should use Obsidian Skin Potions instead of Gills Potions.
- Despite the tooltip states that player can "breathe water instead of air", they can still breathe air. This is because prior to 1.2, players could not breathe in the air if they used a Gills Potion. As such, this tooltip appears to be outdated.
- Desktop 1.2: Gills potions no longer cause the player to suffocate in air.