Herbs are plants used to craft potions. They can be found all across the world and can be harvested with almost any weapon or tool. Each herb will bloom when certain requirements are met. Herbs harvested while blooming will drop 1–3 seeds of their kind in addition, which can be replanted to regenerate the supplies of herbs. Herbs appear randomly on their respective soil but can also be planted in that soil with their kind of seed, as well as in Clay Pots and Planter Boxes(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions).
Herbs can also be found in Herb Bags(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions). The Daybloom can additionally be dropped from Angry Dandelions(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions).
Herbs interact differently with liquids: only Fireblossom can grow in lava, and only Moonglow and Waterleaf can grow in water. No herb can grow in honey or shimmer.
There are 7 different types of herbs.
||BlinkrootInternal Item ID: 315
||DaybloomInternal Item ID: 313
||Daytime (4:30 AM to 7:29 PM)
||DeathweedInternal Item ID: 316
(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Full Moon at nighttime (7:30 PM to 4:29 AM)
||FireblossomInternal Item ID: 318
||(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Sunset (3:45 PM to 7:30 PM) unless it is raining|
(Old-gen console and 3DS versions) Submersion in lava
||MoonglowInternal Item ID: 314
||Nighttime (7:30 PM to 4:29 AM)
||Shiverthorn(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)Internal Item ID: 2358
||At random, blooms permanently until harvested
||WaterleafInternal Item ID: 317
||(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions) Rain|
(3DS version) Submersion in water
Herb growth has three distinct stages:
- Sprout stage ❌ • ❌
- A very small stump or bud of the plant is noticeably growing out of the ground. This stage can be observed at the moment when seeds are just sown. Trying to harvest the plant at this stage will yield neither a herb nor seeds (not even the seeds that were used to plant in the first place).
- Mature stage • ❌
- The plant's vegetative parts show reasonable growth, and are quite noticeable. Flowers are absent, however. Harvesting at this point will yield a herb but no seeds. Using the Staff of Regrowth at this stage for harvesting (of a herb that was planted in soil, not a Clay Pot or Planter Box) does yield seeds.
- Blooming stage •
- This is characterized by the appearance of flowers (possibly with other secondary effects, such as sparks, glows, flashes of light, etc.) and will occur only when the required conditions are met. Weather or event-dependent blooming will last for the duration of these and the plant will revert to the mature stage afterwards (e.g. Moonglow blooms at night and closes during the day). Generally, this is the best stage at which to harvest plants, as doing so will yield both a herb and its seeds.
Herb growth is divided into two types: the initial generation of a herb plant, and the growth of existing herb plant.
Each tick, the game will attempt to generate a sprout stage herb at a random location in the world for multiple times. See Plants § Growth for details.
When a herb is going to be generated, the game will select a random tile within a certain vertical range.
- In a regular world, there is a 1/40 (2.5%) chance for it to be in and below the lower half of the Cavern layer, 1/10 (10%) chance at anywhere in the world, and 7/8 (87.5%) chance below surface.
- In a don't dig up(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) or a get fixed boi(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) world, the tile will always be at anywhere in the world.
If the selected tile is unoccupied, then select a new tile occupied by a solid block directly below the selected tile.
Then, attempt to generate the herb plant by checking the currently selected tile:
- First, check if there are too many herbs nearby. Up to 4 herbs are allowed within a square centered on the chosen tile. The length of the sides of the square depends on the world size:
- Small: 31×31
- Medium: 45×45
- Large: 61×61
- Herbs also cannot generate on half-blocks or sloped blocks.
- Then, if the tile above the selected tile is unoccupied, determine the type of herb by the type of the selected tile. No herb will be planted if the selected tile does not match any of the tile listed below.
||Selected tile type
||Grass or Hallowed grass
||Dirt Block or Mud Block
||Corrupt grass, Ebonstone Block, Crimson grass, Crimstone Block,|
Corrupt Jungle grass(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), Crimson Jungle grass(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
||Sand Block or Pearlsand Block|
(Not in Ocean biome)
||Ash Block or Ash grass(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
||Shiverthorn(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)
||Snow Block, Ice Block, Purple Ice Block, Red Ice Block, Pink Ice Block
Growth of existing herbs
A growth check is performed when the random tile update chooses a herb tile.
First, the game will check if the herb is growing in the appropriate liquid, following the aforementioned rule: only Fireblossom can grow in lava, only Moonglow and Waterleaf can grow in water, and no herb can grow in honey or shimmer. While lava should already destroyed other herbs as soon as it touches them, herbs can still exist in the remaining kinds of liquid. If this check detects the herb is growing in an inappropriate type of liquid, it will be destroyed.
Then, if the selected herb is in sprout stage, try growing it into mature stage. First, there is a 1/50 (2%) chance for the selected herb to grow with a 1/1 (100%) chance, however for Shiverthorns the chance is only 1/2 (50%). If the 1/50 (2%) chance failed, then there is another 1/50 (2%) chance for some types of herb to grow, but with certain conditions:
Afterwards, the game will determine the update of Blinkroot and Shiverthorn.
- For Blinkroot, there is a 2/3 (66.67%) chance for an update to be performed.
- If it is in mature stage, it has a 1/2 (50%) chance to bloom.
- If it is blooming, it has a 1/5 (20%) chance to be reverted back to mature stage.
- For Shiverthorn, there is a 1/30 (3.33%) chance for an update to be performed. This will always make a mature Shiverthorn bloom.
- Blooming Shiverthorns do not revert back to mature stage.
- Herbs can grow anywhere in the world, as long as their respective soil is present. Since some soil types are more prevalent in certain biomes, the respective herbs will be found more often there as well. For instance, Snow and Ice Blocks make up the majority of the Snow/Ice biomes, hence Shiverthorn is going to be found there in large quantities.
- A herb will bloom on every occasion which provides its blooming conditions, not just once. For example, Moonglow will bloom each time it is night, not just once.
- Due to the mechanic of random tile updates, on average, herbs on and above the surface layer will grow faster than herbs below the surface layer.
- Despite there being a Planter Box(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) for each herb, any Planter Box (and additionally Clay Pots) can be used to grow any herb, regardless of its type or what biome it is placed in. Using them also avoids the problem of swinging tools breaking nearby herbs.
- Herb seeds are named after their herb, e.g. Blinkroot Seeds for Blinkroot. There are also plain Seeds that are ammunition for the Blowpipe. These latter Seeds cannot be planted.
- All herbs sell for 20 CC, while their seeds sell for 16 CC.
- Daybloom is the only herb that can be dropped by enemies.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced Blinkroot, Daybloom, Deathweed, Fireblossom, Moonglow, Waterleaf.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Information taken from the Desktop 184.108.40.206 source code, method
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, method
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Information taken from the Desktop 18.104.22.168 source code, method
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 22.214.171.124 source code, method