|Debuff tooltip||Losing life and slowed movement|
Meteorite is a type of ore mined from Meteorite crash sites. Crash sites are not generated upon world creation, but instead generate throughout the game based on certain conditions. Mining Meteorite requires a Tungsten Pickaxe or better. Additionally, Meteor Heads also have a 2% chance to drop a single piece of Meteorite, though only in pre-Hardmode.
Crash sites can occur anywhere, accompanied by a status message "A meteorite has landed!". Meteorite is required to craft Meteorite Bars.
Contact with Meteorite blocks causes the player to be inflicted with the Burning debuff, unless the player has the Obsidian Skull accessory (or its upgrades) equipped, or is using an Obsidian Skin Potion. Meteorite can be mined without these defenses, and the ore is safe to collect once mined.
Any area with at least (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 75 / (Old-gen console version) 50 / (3DS version) 23 Meteorite blocks in close proximity (e.g. a natural crash site) becomes a Meteorite biome, which will spawn Meteor Heads.
- Turning Meteorite into Meteorite Bars and selling them is 133% more profitable than selling the raw Meteorite itself.
- Blocks between the player and a Meteorite block will prevent damage. A layer of Sand or a similar gravity-affected block can effectively negate much of the danger of mining Meteorite.
- If a player places at least (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 75 / (Old-gen console version) 50 / (3DS version) 23 pieces of Meteorite, they can create an artificial Meteorite biome, where all enemy spawns are replaced by Meteor Heads.
- While Water/Honey will not prevent the damage from Meteorite blocks, they will cancel the On Fire! debuff that Meteor Heads have a chance to inflict, meaning that they can still be useful to bring when mining in a Meteorite biome.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Dynamite and Bombs no longer destroy Meteorite.
- Added a Background Effect for when a Meteorite is falling.
- Now has higher Metal Detector priority than Gold and Platinum.
- Now requires 75 Meteorites instead of 50 to create an artificial biome.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Changed item texture from to .
- Changed block texture from to .
- Desktop 1.2:
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched. Now inflicts Burning instead.
- Increased stack limit from 250 to 999.
- Now takes fewer hits with a pickaxe to mine. A Nightmare Pickaxe, for example, now takes 2 hits to mine Meteorite instead of 4.