Objects, or background objects, are a general type of tile which occupy space but can be passed by the player. Blocks cannot be created on top of them until they are removed. Most types of objects are scattered across the world during world generation, though some (namely pieces of Furniture) can be manually placed by the player. Unlike blocks, objects do not form terrain and act as separate and independent tiles. There are a large number of objects which serve no purpose, and instead are only used for their appearance.
Many background objects yield items when harvested by the player by using a pickaxe or explosives. Notable exceptions include:
- Ambient objects, destroying these in the Surface layer or Underground Jungle can spawn certain Critters.
- Bee Hive, destroying these will release Bees.
- Larva, destroying these will summon Queen Bee.
- Plantera's Bulb, destroying these will summon Plantera.
- Altars, destroying these will generate the first three tiers of Hardmode ores (on the Old-gen console version and Nintendo version, also spread Corruption/Crimson or Hallow).
- If an object (such as a stalagmite) is sitting in lava, and water is pouring onto the same spot, a block of Obsidian will not form, but the water will be consumed and lost regardless.
- Planter Boxes are special in the regard that the player can stand on top of them.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Multiple sprites updated.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.