- Internal NPC ID: 229
The Pirate is a Hardmode NPC that appears after at least one Pirate Invasion has been defeated and a vacant house is available. He also has nearly the exact same texture as the Pirate Captain, an enemy from the Pirate Invasion.
|Cannon||25 GC||Always available.|
|Cannonball||15 SC||Always available.|
|Pirate Hat||5 GC||Always available.|
|Pirate Shirt||5 GC||Always available.|
|Pirate Pants||5 GC||Always available.|
|Sail(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)||50 CC||Always available.|
|Parrot Cracker||3 PC75 GC||When spoken to in an Ocean biome.|
|Bunny Cannon||50 GC||When Party Girl is present, world is in Hardmode and one mechanical boss is defeated.|
|Explosive Bunny||35 SC||When Party Girl is present, world is in Hardmode and one mechanical boss is defeated. (Old-gen console and 3DS versions)|
|Any Pylon(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)||10 GC||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
For more information, see NPC happiness.
When submerged in Shimmer, the Pirate will transform into his Shimmered form. This has no impact on gameplay or dialogue and is only a visual change. He can be returned to his classic look by submerging him in Shimmer again.
The Pirate may have any of the following names:
- Black Beard
- Captain Bullywort
- Captain Morgan
- Captain Stoney Dirt
- Gunpowder Garry
- James T. Beard
- Red Beard
- Wet Beard
When Tavernkeep(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) is present:
If the player is female (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) / Any gender (Old-gen console and 3DS versions):
During a Party(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions):
During a Windy Day(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions):
During a Thunderstorm(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions):
When in a Graveyard(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions):
Happiness quotes (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Ocean:
When in the Caverns:
When near the Angler:
When near the Princess:
When near the Tavernkeep:
When near the Stylist:
When near the Guide:
- Like the Steampunker and Santa Claus, the pirate's spawn requirements do not necessarily require the world to be in Hardmode. However, at least one Hardmode world is required to obtain the event-summoning item.
- In the housing menu, his description states "I think he lost his boat".
- The Pirate looks like the Pirate Captain in the Pirate Invasion (minus the gold gloves on the enemy's sprite).
- The Pirate's Shimmered form appears to be of a ghost, in reference to ghost ships, which can be seen often in media.
- Many of the Pirate's possible names allude to historical captains (though the "pirate" status of many of these figures is contested to this day):
- Black Beard to the English pirate Edward "Blackbeard" Teach.
- Red Beard to the Ottoman seaman Oruç Reis who was known as Baba Oruç, which was transformed into Barbarossa (Redbeard in Italian) in Europe.
- David to the idiom Davy Jones' Locker.
- Captain Morgan to the Welsh privateer Sir Henry Morgan.
- James T. Beard to the fictional starship captain James T. Kirk from the American media franchise Star Trek. (Notably not a pirate character)
- Jack to the main protagonist of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series, Captain Jack Sparrow.
- The name Jake could be a reference to the American musical and interactive children's animated television series Jake and the Never Land Pirates.
- His quote "I'm no landlubber, but it's better to have lubbed and lost than never to have lubbed at all." is a reference to "It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" from Alfred Tennyson's poem In Memoriam A.H.H..
- His quote "What in blazes are ye talkin' about? Moby Dick is mine!" is a reference to the 1851 novel Moby-Dick.
- His quote "Yo ho ho and a bottle of....blinkroots!" is a reference to the sea song "Dead Man's Chest".
- Although the Cyborg says that the Pirate treats him favorably, the Cyborg does not appear to affect the Pirate's Happiness.
- Rarely, the Pirate and the Guide can have the same name (Jake or Jack).
- During a Party(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), other than donning a party hat, his sleeves also appear different.
- The flaming pumpkins from The Horseman's Blade will home in on the Pirate even though he is not an enemy.
- Apparently the Pirate has a soft spot for the Angler and wants to teach him to be a pirate.
- The Pirate sometimes defecates, similar to the Pirate minion.
- The Bestiary entry for the Pirate: "Ahoy! The only good Pirate Captain is... one that sells cannons and weapons to take out all competing Pirate Captains!"
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.