The Prismatic Lacewing is a rare flying critter that spawns in the surface Hallow after Plantera has been defeated. It only spawns between dusk (7:30 PM) and midnight (12:00 AM). When killed by a player, it summons the Empress of Light; death from non-player sources will generally not result in summoning. Only one Lacewing can be naturally spawned at a time.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
|Prismatic Lacewing Jar(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)||By Hand|
- The Prismatic Lacewing is classified in-game as an enemy, not as a critter.
- Therefore, it does not generate life, unlike other critters.
- However, player summons will not actively target it, though they may kill it by accident while attacking another enemy.
- The Prismatic Lacewing will despawn almost immediately if released outside the Hallow, but can still be killed to summon the Empress of Light if done fast enough or if placed directly onto a damaging projectile.
- Prismatic Lacewings will only spawn on Hallowed grass (not including its mowed variant), Pearlstone Blocks, Pearlsand Blocks, and Pink Ice Blocks.
- A Prismatic Lacewing can only be damaged by a player if they are close enough; it will appear translucent if the player is far away. This is likely done to prevent accidentally summoning the Empress of Light while the Prismatic Lacewing is off-screen.
- If the Prismatic Lacewing takes damage from a player but is killed by another projectile (e.g. from a trap), the Empress of Light will still spawn.
- Fallen Stars count as player damage for this purpose, hence the boss will be summoned if the Prismatic Lacewing is hit by a Fallen Star.
- If the Prismatic Lacewing only takes damage from non-player sources, the boss will not be summoned.
- In Don't dig up worlds, the Prismatic Lacewing can spawn at any time of day.
- Using a Bug Net, it can be kept in the player's inventory to later release it at a more appropriate time, such as to fight the Empress of Light when better prepared.
- The Guide to Critter Companionship (or its upgrade, the Guide to Peaceful Coexistence) can be helpful to prevent accidentally summoning the Empress of Light.
- Using a Battle Potion and Water Candle increases its spawn rate, like other enemies.
- Building a platform roughly 35 tiles above a Hallow biome while under the influence of a Water Candle, the player can expect 3–8 Lacewings to spawn, provided they are there from 7:30 PM to 12:00 AM.
- If the player does not have a surface Hallowed biome in their world, a Clentaminator with Blue Solution can be used to create one.
- The Windy Balloon(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), Lunatic Devotee, Truffle Worm, and Prismatic Lacewing are the only entities classified as an "enemy" that otherwise deal absolutely no damage to the player.
- The Bestiary entry for the Prismatic Lacewing: "Should one of these luminescent beings perish in the chaos of night, a sleeping tyrant is rumored to violently awaken."
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Now grants the "Like a Boss" achievement.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Spawn rate significantly increased.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Introduced.
- Console 184.108.40.206.4.1: Introduced with change from 220.127.116.11.
- Switch 18.104.22.168.5: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124.0: Introduced with change from 126.96.36.199.