The Black Spot
|Buff||Pirate Ship Mount(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)|
|Buff tooltip||You're the captain now|
- Internal Item ID: 4792 (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- Internal Mount ID: 44
- Internal Buff ID: 279 (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
The Black Spot is a mount-summoning item dropped by the Flying Dutchman in Master Mode with a 1/4 (25%) chance. It summons a rideable Pirate Ship Mount which can fly infinitely.
The Pirate Ship Mount has a maximum horizontal flight speed of 36 mph, a diagonal speed of 54 mph, and a vertical speed of 41 mph. It moves slightly slower (30 mph) when in a body of water. Upon achieving 20 mph, a ring of gold particles appears around the player and trails behind the mount, imitating the visual of a sonic boom. Once these particles are displayed, the Pirate Ship Mount begins dealing damage upon ramming enemies.
- The Pirate Ship Mount deals 100 base summon damage. Like other mounts, this damage can be boosted by items that boost summon damage.
- The Flying Dutchman can be fought before beating any of the mechanical bosses, making the Pirate Ship Mount the only mount with infinite flight obtainable at this progression.
- While most other mounts are four tiles tall, the Pirate Ship Mount is five tiles tall.
• “Equip a mount.”
Equip your first mount
. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- Obtaining The Black Spot prior to defeating a mechanical boss is a challenging (given the difficulty of the Master Mode, early-Hardmode Pirate Invasion) but rewarding task. See Pirate Invasion § Tips and Guide:Defending against events for tips.
- It is advisable to remove mobility accessories when using the mount, as they will not boost its movement.
- Although the Pirate Ship Mount has decent speed, its acceleration, turning, and stopping rates are relatively slow, making it less agile than other flying mounts. The acceleration also makes its ramming capabilities difficult to utilize. Other mounts, such as the Witch's Broom or UFO Mount (both have an acceleration of 49 mph/second, compared to the Pirate Ship Mount's 25 mph/second), may be more suited e.g. for dodging incoming attacks.
- The item is a reference to the adventure novel Treasure Island by Scottish author Robert Louis Stevenson, where pieces of paper marked with a black spot play an important role.
- The buff tooltip may be a nod to the 2013 American biographical drama-thriller movie Captain Phillips, where the pirate Abduwali Muse says "I'm the captain now", a phrase commonly used within meme communities on the internet.
- Prior to the 1.4.1 update, the Pirate Ship Mount had an extraordinary speed of 81 mph (91 mph diagonally, and no decrease in water). Therefore, it was often considered to be among the best mounts in the game, despite being obtainable before any of the mechanical bosses have been defeated.
- Desktop 1.4.1: Max speed and acceleration reduced. Can no longer instantly reach top acceleration by dashing.