Jump to navigation Jump to search
|AI Type||Unicorn AI|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 86
For the mount summoned with the Blessed Apple, see Unicorn Mount.
The Unicorn is a Hardmode enemy that spawns in The Hallow. It is a very fast enemy and has a rather large amount of health. It can jump approximately 7 tiles high and 20 tiles wide. It leaps around and charges, attempting to trample the player. Its unpredictable and speedy behavior, combined with a high damage output, can make fighting it difficult. It always drops one Unicorn Horn, a valued item. It can also drop the Blessed Apple, though it is rare.
- Unicorns will only spawn on Hallowed grass, Pearlstone Blocks, Pearlsand Blocks, and Pink Ice Blocks. Unicorns will not spawn in the Underground Hallow.
- Players who recently entered Hardmode should avoid using short-ranged melee attacks against Unicorns, as they deal a high amount of damage and are highly resistant to knockback, and should attempt to locate to a spot out of the Unicorns attack range.
- For these reasons, longer ranged melee weapons such as boomerangs, spears, or yoyos are recommended.
- If the player jump straight up with the Slime Mount, and land on a Unicorn, it can be killed without moving, as well as any other Unicorns or Pixies that come along, but it is not recommended at nighttime, as Gastropods can hit the player from afar.
- Fighting them in water slows their movement enough for normal knockback from swords to be effective.
- Digging a two tile-wide hole just big enough to stand in will allow the player to attack the Unicorn without being attacked, since the Unicorn is too big to fit through.
- Ranged-oriented players may need to use hooks or wings to avoid damage from Unicorns.
- The Dao of Pow is effective, as it often Confuses Unicorns into running away, which mitigates their frequent charges.
- A chainsaw or very fast sword's knockback can also hold back the Unicorn's charges.
- The Flamarang is very effective, as its strong knockback will keep the Unicorn from charging. In some cases, the Unicorn will not be able to move at all when under these attacks.
- The Golden Shower can immobilize the Unicorn, provided it was properly reforged.
- The Piranha Gun can prevent multiple Unicorns from moving, as it will stunlock them, and home in on any of them that are remaining.
- The Megashark is very effective against Unicorns as the insanely fast speed of this gun will cause the Unicorn to stop moving and prevent it from charging.
- The Clinger Staff is a excellent weapon to use as it has very high knockback ( and inflicts Cursed Inferno).
- Any weapon with a knockback value of 8 or higher can potentially knock Unicorns away from the player.
- Unicorns can be spawned in pre-Hardmode using Unicorn Statues, but will not drop any items.
- A winged Unicorn can sometimes be seen flying in the Hallow background as ambience.
- The Bestiary entry for the Unicorn: "These majestic single-horned equines storm angrily through the hallowed land in search of lowly intrusions needing to be cleansed away."
Unicorn depicted on the Unicorn Crossing the Hallows painting.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Drop rate for Blessed Apple increased fivefold from 1/200 / 1/150 to 1/40 / 1/30, since other enemies no longer drop the item.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Sprite updated.
- Now has a chance to drop a Blessed Apple.
- Increased their spawn rate if a Water Candle debuff is in effect.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Now has a chance to drop a Unicorn Banner.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Changed its sound effect when damaged.
- Now has a chance to drop Unicorn on a stick.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.