The Wooden Crate is a pre-Hardmode crate that can be obtained by fishing in any biome, at any height. It is the lowest tier of standard crate, having the least value if sold directly. Its Hardmode counterpart is the Pearlwood Crate(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions).
(Old-gen console and 3DS versions) While a Wooden Crate nominally offers the least valuable rewards, it is the only crate tier which drops ores. As such, it is one of the few sources for "alternate" ores on these versions.
- Only one type of item out of the ores and bars can drop, not both a type of ore and a type of bar. The table above implies otherwise with the ores and the bars being in separate rows, but that is for readability purposes. The chance that a type of ore or bar is dropped is 1/4 (25%).
- (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) A Wooden Crate will always contain at least one type of item from the first six groups (or any but the last two groups) displayed in the loot table above. This means that at least one type of item from the following list will always drop from a Wooden Crate:
- The Extractinator will never be dropped alongside the Aglet/Step Stool/Climbing Claws/Guide to Plant Fiber Cordage/Radar.
- Wooden Crates are able to drop rare items from Surface Chests, making those items renewable. However, none of the early-game weapons, such as the Blowpipe or the Wooden Boomerang, can be obtained from Wooden Crates.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Now drops Step Stool in place of Umbrella, and the drop rate for all primary crate loot (Surface level chest loot) has been increased from 1/45 (2.22%) to 1/20 (5%).
- Reduced quantity of dropped ores from 6–23 to 4–15.
- Reduced quantity of dropped bars from 2–7 to 2–5.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Now placeable.
- Now contain the Radar, Sailfish Boots, Tsunami in a Bottle, Enchanted Sundial, and Guide to Plant Fiber Cordage.