The console version is currently available natively on 6 different console systems (3 of which run on Old-gen consoles.) The game was released on the Nintendo Switch on June 27, 2019. It is also playable on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S via backward compatibility.
Due to hardware requirement issues and memory constraints, the Xbox 360, PS3, PS Vita, and Wii U, are considered Old-gen platforms and thus will no longer receive significant updates past the 18.104.22.168 Desktop equivalent (see Old-gen console version).
|Console||Date of last update||Current version||Desktop equivalent|
|July 5, 2023||22.214.171.124.4 (Build 1050)||126.96.36.199|
|Xbox One||May 31, 2023||188.8.131.52.4 (Build 1035)||184.108.40.206|
|Nintendo Switch||May 2, 2023||220.127.116.11.2 (Build 1015)||18.104.22.168|
The Nintendo Switch version has some features not found in the other console versions of the game. These include:
- Touchscreen support including various gestures:
- Pinching to zoom on both the map as well as the in-game world
- Quick inventory management
- Tapping the screen to use items
- Quick access to the inventory and minimap
- Quickly toggling visibility on accessories
- Handheld play
- The Nintendo Switch can also be Docked into TV mode, which plays about the same as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 version.
- It also has a local multiplayer mode in Docked mode and Tabletop mode.
- Prior to 1.3, the console version was developed by Engine Software. Development was then handled by Pipeworks Studios until the release of 1.4, in which DR Studios took over development.
- Due to unknown reasons, the Xbox One platform unintentionally received the Console 1.0.1372.5 update about 48 hours prior to the official release on the platform.
- The Console version is mainly based off of the Mobile version port. There are many UI similarities between both versions, along with the Settings menu on the console version containing a grayed-out section for touch controls.
- Terraria Launches Today on Nintendo Switch! June 27, 2019
- 3DS was only ever going to be 1.2 plus a few extras. September 1, 2016
- The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile. July 25, 2016
- Xbox 360, PS3, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS will no longer receive updates. November 19, 2016
- WHY NO 1.3 UPDATES FOR OLDER CONSOLES? February 3, 2018
- Terraria State of the Game - June 2023 June 29, 2023
- Terraria State of the Game - May 2023 June 5, 2023
- Terraria State of the Game - March 2023 March 30, 2023
- Terraria State of the Game - April 2019, comment by ClearConscious from Pipeworks Studio May 11, 2019
Nintendo Switch store pages
This content is transcluded from Console version/Nintendo Switch store pages.