"Our mother is angry, and wishes to burn away the filth by raining destructive power on our treetops."
The Thunderstorm is an uncommon event that occurs when wind speed reaches 20 mph and Rain level is at 50%. It will continue until either wind speed drops to 16 mph or Rain level drops to 40%. It is essentially a combination of the Rain and Windy Day events.
Thunderstorms will retain all of the same effects as the Rain event, including all Rain enemies and initiating Blizzards in the Snow biome. However, no enemies or special items from Windy Days will be present.
Occasionally, lightning will strike creating a flash of light on the screen, which is then followed by thunder. Wind picks up significantly when Thunderstorms are happening, causing leaves to fall at exceeding rates.
- Lightning bolts cannot strike the player, as lightning is just a visual effect.
- Music for the surface Snow, Corruption, and Crimson biomes will not change when a Thunderstorm is occurring.
- NPCs have special dialogue during Thunderstorms.
- Contrary to the Guide's quotes, no new enemies will spawn during a Thunderstorm, and lightning will not zap anything either.
- The Weather Radio will detect Thunderstorms.
- There is an experimental features option to disable the flashing effect that comes from lightning.
- On older Mobile versions, similar lightning effects would be present when it rained. However, there was no sound of thunder.
- Desktop 1.4.4: The Painter now sells Thunderbolt during Thunderstorms.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Added an experimental feature option to disable lightning flashes.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Introduced.
- Console 126.96.36.199.4.1: Introduced with changes from Desktop 188.8.131.52.
- Switch 184.108.40.206.5: Introduced with changes from Desktop 220.127.116.11.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 22.214.171.124.