Hmm? Nothing special today... just kidding! It's party time, and then it's after party time!
A Party is an event that can occur randomly, or be activated manually using a Party Center. Parties are mainly visual, having little functional effect on gameplay, with the exception of some exclusive vanity and novelty items available from the Clothier and Party Girl. A Party lasts until 7:30 PM, and if spawned randomly, begins at 4:30 AM.
A Party has a random
10*1/10 (10%) chance of occurring at any particular dawn ("thrown" by one to three NPCs), without the need for a placed Party Center. See below for the detailed conditions. When NPCs throw a Party, any placed Party Center activates, a burst of confetti appears on each NPC, and a pink status message displays: "Looks like <NPC name>, <NPC name>, and <NPC name> are throwing a party". At its conclusion, the Party automatically deactivates with a puff of smoke on all NPCs and another pink status message: "Party time's over!". A Party can still be re-initiated manually afterward.
During a Party:
- All NPCs except the Tax Collector, Zoologist, Old Man, and Skeleton Merchant wear Party Hats, including town pets and the Traveling Merchant.
- Balloons continually rise in the background.
- Bunnies also wear Party Hats (but drop only normal Bunnies when caught).
- Gem Bunnies that spawn during a Party are replaced with normal Bunnies (with hats).
- The Clothier and Party Girl sell additional Party-exclusive novelty and vanity items.
- If the Party occurs naturally, the Party Girl will give the player a Slice of Cake when spoken to. She will only give this item the first time she is spoken to after the Party begins, even on Multiplayer worlds.
- Most NPCs display unique quotes when spoken to.
Most NPCs display unique quotes during Parties when spoken to:
|Angler||"What, you think I like parties because I am a kid? Well, you're right, so get to partying!"|
|Arms Dealer||"Parties are great for getting people to come out of their shell, just like with bullets."|
|Clothier||"Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can party on."|
|Cyborg||"This party is going to be nuts, maybe even bolts!"|
|Demolitionist||"You might want to be careful today. Us dwarves tend to have pretty explosive parties."|
|Dryad||"I thought I would throw a party to celebrate our victories in the past and those yet to come."|
|Dye Trader||"I truly love parties, so many beautiful colors and happy people."|
|Goblin Tinkerer||"Goblin parties are a lot like humans. They both have games like "Pin the Blame on the Human" er... I don't play that game at my parties."|
|Golfer||"I'm having trouble concentrating on this swing because of the obnoxious party going on around me."
"I hit a hole in one! That's a good reason for us all to celebrate. Time to put my club down and have a margarita."
|Guide||"Never been to a party before? You might want to check around with the others. People sometimes bring out special party favors."|
|Mechanic||"Do you think anyone would mind if I wired a cake with bulbs instead of candles?"|
|Merchant||"You know what would be the best way to party? Buying things for others, specifically from me."|
|Nurse||"No, I will not tell you how many candles are on my cake."|
|Painter||"I tried having a paintball fight, but everyone wanted food and decorations instead."|
|Party Girl||"Hmm? Nothing special today... just kidding! It's party time, and then it's after party time!"
"At last, my time has come!"
|Pirate||"After all that cake, you might have to call me White Beard for a while."|
|Princess||"A party? Like.. a festival? I LOVE FESTIVALS! So much pink! So much glitter! It's so cheerful!!"|
|Santa Claus||"Come now, you didn't think I only celebrated on Christmas did you?"|
|Steampunker|| "Everyone said they like stacked cakes, so I installed smokestacks in mine."
"Everyone said they like stacked cakes, so I installed smokestacks in mine" (note the missing period)
|Stylist||"I may have gotten my hair done up just for today, but honestly, I just want to pop balloons with my scissors."|
|Tavernkeep|| "There's a party happening here! I had just wiped down the bar, too."
"You should sit down and have a little fun. Don't worry, I don't think any kobolds will crash this party."
|Traveling Merchant||"Many say that parties give you the richest of memories. So buy something and make this memory rich!"|
|Truffle||"I would have invited everyone to party in my home, but there's not mushroom."|
|Witch Doctor||"I wanted to see how your kind celebrate, I am not disappointed."|
|Wizard||"Clearly I throw the most magical of parties."|
|Zoologist||"So, uh, I can't wear the hat. Sorry. I'm still here for the party, no worries!"|
- Parties thrown randomly by NPCs can only occur under the following conditions:
- The last random party was thrown more than 5–10 days ago (the actual cooldown period is chosen at random when a random Party initiates).
- The Party Girl is present.
- There are at least five eligible town NPCs present, i.e. those who can throw a Party. Eligible NPCs include the Traveling Merchant, but not town pets, the Old Man, and the Skeleton Merchant.
- A Party Center can be used to initiate a Party at any time, regardless of the criteria above (e.g. even if there are no NPCs in the world at all).
- The names of the NPCs as well as the number of NPCs who throw a Party are determined randomly:
- With 13 or more eligible town NPCs present, there is a
20*1/5 (20%) chance for three NPCs, a 26.67*4/15 (26.67%) chance for two NPCs, and a 53.33*8/15 (53.33%) chance for one NPC to throw the Party.
- With fewer than 13 town NPCs present, the chances are
33.33*1/3 (33.33%) for two NPCs and 66.67*2/3 (66.67%) for one NPC. It is impossible for three NPCs to throw the Party in this case.
- With 13 or more eligible town NPCs present, there is a
- The status messages if one and two NPCs throw a Party are as follows:
- "Looks like <NPC name> is throwing a party"
- "Looks like <NPC name> & <NPC name> are throwing a party"
- A Party will immediately start upon creation of a Celebrationmk10 world.
- Parties affect all NPCs (except the Tax Collector, Old Man, and Skeleton Merchant), regardless of their location in the world.
- The background balloons effect wears off if the player is more than 47 tiles away from any Party Center or NPC.
- The party will not end if all NPCs are killed.Verify
- The event was introduced to celebrate Terraria's 5th birthday, May 16, 2016.
- This is the only event that is peaceful, i.e., does not cause more enemies to spawn. In the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, Lantern Nights and Meteor Showers are also peaceful events.
- The Party Girl is the only NPC to have two unique Party quotes.
- Even though the Tax Collector does not wear a Party Hat or says anything related to Parties, he can still throw a Party.
- Parties are the only event that allow seeing the hair of some NPCs, most noticeably the Dye Trader.
- The Goblin Tinkerer's quote references "pin the tail on the donkey", a party game.
- Even though the Pirate's quote is on eating so much cake his beard is white, his beard in his sprite is the same color as always.
- The Truffle's quote is a joke on the words mushroom and much room.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.3.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11.