|Progress bar icon|
The Pumpkin Moon is a Hardmode, post-Plantera, Halloween-themed event summoned with the Pumpkin Moon Medallion any time at night, ending at dawn (4:30 AM). It can be summoned any time of year and does not require the actual Halloween season. During the event, unique and highly difficult enemies spawn at high rates and attack the player. It is similar to the Frost Moon event, but is less difficult. Visually, the moon turns into a jack-o-lantern, though remaining in its current phase.
The entire event consists of 20 / 15 waves. Waves progress as the player reaches certain kill scores. After a wave's required score is met, the next wave begins, and the kill score is reset to 0. Status messages will indicate when the wave has advanced, and which wave has been achieved. See the table below for the points awarded for each enemy and the score required for each wave. Expert Mode worlds will gain a 2× point multiplier and Master Mode worlds will gain a 2.5× multiplier. On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, when the event is over, the total score will be displayed by a status message: "The Pumpkin Moon has passed! (Score: <Total Score>)"
The Pumpkin Moon event always ends at 4:30 AM. The goal of the event is to progress through all 20 waves before the event ends, although the achievement for the event is awarded at wave 15.
The Pumpkin Moon event always ends at 4:30 AM. The goal of the event is to progress through all 15 waves before the event ends.
The Pumpkin Moon Medallion, which summons the Pumpkin Moon, requires materials only available in Hardmode worlds where the player has already defeated Plantera (although it can still be summoned in pre-Hardmode worlds). As such, it is intended to present a challenge even to players with mid-to-late Hardmode equipment. In the final waves, multiple boss-level enemies are fought at once.
Pumpkin Moon enemies drop powerful weapons and accessories, as well as pet and vanity items. Most drop with extreme rarity, and even players who manage to complete the event will find they need to do so several times before obtaining them. Drop chances for items dropped by bosses increase as waves are completed. In the final wave, the Mourning Wood and Pumpking are both guaranteed to drop their respective trophies.
Reaching the 15th wave before 4:30 AM will display the message “The spirit of Halloween penetrates the air...” at dawn (4:30 AM). For the entire day and night, all special effects of the Halloween season will occur. At 4:30 AM of the next day, the message “The spirit of Halloween rests...” will appear and all Halloween events will no longer occur until the Halloween season begins again or the player reaches the 15th wave of the Pumpkin Moon again. 
- Total points required to reach wave 15: 3410
- The maximum number of bosses at once depends on the wave. While this number is reached (or possibly exceeded, for example if the player manages to somehow reach wave 9 without killing two Mourning Woods from wave 6), no more of this type of boss will spawn.
- Water Candles, Peace Candles, Battle Potions, and Calming Potions have no effect during the event, as the same with some other events.
- If the player is killed during the event, the event is not canceled. The player will keep re-spawning and can continue fighting its enemies as the event continues until dawn. In single player games, exiting the world and reentering it will cancel the event.
- The Pumpkin Moon does not stack with the Blood Moon. Summoning the Pumpkin Moon while a Blood Moon is active will result in a regular Pumpkin Moon.
- Summoning a Pirate Invasion during a Pumpkin Moon will cancel it.
- Lingering enemies beaten after the event is over will never drop any rare items.
- In Expert Mode, the drop rates are calculated as if they were five waves higher, meaning trophies and guaranteed rare drops will start from wave 10 onwards.
- Most enemies have a chance to drop hearts regardless of whether the player is below maximum health.
- Any boss enemies that are still on a player's screen by the time dawn breaks will begin to move rapidly in a single direction, rushing off-screen to despawn. It is still possible to pursue or even kill some bosses while this is occurring.
- Because spawn rates for areas where Pumpkin Moon enemies cannot spawn are also increased, a Pumpkin Moon can be used to farm for other items, e.g., Pirate Maps at the Ocean, while completely avoiding the Pumpkin Moon enemies.
- The early-wave Pumpkin Moon enemies are susceptible to the Ichor debuff, which makes a Flask of Ichor, Ichor Arrows or Bullets, or the Golden Shower very effective.
- Players should kill the enemies as soon as they spawn to ensure that more enemies can spawn continuously in order to increase the chances of reaching later waves.
- The Pumpkin Moon can be a great way to obtain a large amount of coins quickly.
- An area filled with traps could be useful to deal with the regular enemies while the player fights against the mini-bosses.
- Pumpking is the only boss in the event that flies consistently through blocks and cannot be confined. It behaves similarly to Skeletron, and has a similar size.
- Mourning Wood can phase through blocks and (if needed), will go up through blocks and find the player.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Pumpkin Moon can now go up to Wave 20. Wave point requirements for Waves 15-20 match Frost Moon.
- Pumpkin Moon's wave composition has been completely rearranged to account for this.
- Pumpkin Moon bosses are now capped in number, more closely resembling the behavior of Frost Moon bosses.
- Increased the number of enemy slots taken up by Mourning Wood and Pumpking, to be more in line with Frost Moon bosses, dramatically reducing how many can spawn at a time.
- All regular enemies in Pumpkin Moon now have low per-player Health scaling in Expert/Master multiplayer (the boss units already had scaling).
- Pumpkin Moon trophies now drop using Frost Moon drop rates, instead of dropping from 100% of Wave 15 kills.
- Pumpkin Moon boss drop-rate-by-wave multiplier has been reduced, though drops are still more common than Frost Moon levels (this is partly to account for having a higher wave cap, though drops are still slightly less common than before).
- Pumpkin Moon's "expert drop bonus" modifier has been reduced slightly, with the base drop rates being increased by the same amount, and the end result being that Classic mode drops are slightly more generous, while Expert drop rates stay the same.
- Pumpkin Moon now receives a 2.5× point multiplier when playing in Master mode. Previously, it received a 2× multiplier in Expert, but no additional gain in Master.
- Pumpkin Moon will now display the total score when the event is over.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Reaching the end of the Pumpkin Moon unlocks one in-game day of the Halloween event.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed invasion progress wrapping around to -32768 when exceeding 32767 points in multiplayer.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.2.2: Music from this event can now be recorded on a Music Box; they will no longer turn into Ankh Charms.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: A brand new music track has been added to the game for the Pumpkin Moon Event (originally used the Eclipse theme prior to this update).
- Desktop 1.2.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Made changes from Console 1.0.750.0. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0:
- Console 1.02: Introduced with music from Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced with music from Desktop 220.127.116.11.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced with music from Desktop 18.104.22.168.