|AI Type||Passive AI|
|Damage||111619 (Exotic Scimitar)|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 207
- There is an empty house.
- The player has a dye, dye ingredient, or Strange Plant in their inventory, and at least four other town NPCs are in the world. Note that while the Old Man, Traveling Merchant, and town pets count towards this total, the Skeleton Merchant does not.
- The player has a dye or dye ingredient in their inventory.
In addition to selling dye-related items, players may trade in Strange Plants for uncraftable and unpurchasable animated dyes once Hardmode has been reached. These dyes are given at random in sets of 6 for each exchanged Strange Plant.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Dye Trader will attack nearby enemies with his Exotic Scimitar to defend himself, dealing 11 / 16 / 19 damage at the start of the game, and as players progress he will gain various stat increases. He may also drop this weapon on death.
|Dye Vat||5||Always available.|
|Silver Dye||1||Always available.|
|Team Dye||1||On a multiplayer server.|
|Dye Trader Robe||3||During Halloween.|
|Dye Trader's Turban||3||During Halloween.|
|Shadow Dye||375||During full moon.|
|Negative Dye||375||During full moon.|
|Brown Dye||1||Always available.|
|Fogbound Dye||750||While in a Graveyard.|
|Bloodbath Dye||750||During a Blood Moon.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
Strange Plant quests
Speaking to the Dye Trader in Hardmode will show the "Strange Plants" quest, in which the Dye Trader asks players to fetch him rare plants. In return, he rewards players with 6 vials of a special dye which cannot be obtained otherwise. More of these dyes become available as the game progresses.
- Acid Dye
- Red Acid Dye
- Blue Acid Dye
- Glowing Mushroom Dye
- Purple Ooze Dye
- Reflective Dye
- Reflective Gold Dye
- Reflective Silver Dye
- Reflective Obsidian Dye
- Reflective Copper Dye
- Reflective Metal Dye
- Negative Dye
- Shadow Dye
- Mirage Dye
- Twilight Dye
- Hades Dye
- Burning Hades Dye
- Shadowflame Hades Dye
- Grim Dye
- Phase Dye
- Shifting Sands Dye
- Gel Dye
For more information, see NPC happiness.
|Shimmered Dye Trader and his Map Icon.|
When submerged in Shimmer, the Dye Trader will transform into his Shimmered form. This has no impact on gameplay or dialogue and is only a visual change. He can be returned to his classic look by submerging him in Shimmer again.
The Dye Trader may have any of the following names:
When Pirate is present:
During a Party:
During a Windy Day:
During a Thunderstorm:
When turning in a Strange Plant:
When the player does not have a strange plant:
When in a Graveyard:
When far from home:
When in a sparsely populated area:
When in the Desert:
When in the Forest:
When near the Princess:
When near the Arms Dealer:
When near the Painter:
When near the Steampunker:
When near the Pirate:
- Ahirom, Abdosir, Hiram, and Batnoam are the names of ancient Phoenician kings and queens. Phoenicia was an east Mediterranean empire that became wealthy from the purple dye extracted from coastal snails, and Sea Snails drop the ingredient for Purple Dye.
- Hanno is the name of a Carthaginian explorer from the 5th century BC, who is known for his naval exploration of the western coast of Africa.
- One of his quotes mentions that he sells "the richest colors"; however, he only sells 7 / 5 dyes, one of them only on multiplayer.
- The Dye Trader's sprite was created by former Re-Logic artist Waffles. In 22.214.171.124, it was updated by Lazure.
- Even if the player is wearing the Dye Trader's own attire, he still criticizes their clothes.
- Despite it being hidden under his turban, the Dye Trader's hair is observed to be black, which can be seen when it is removed during a Party in favor of a party hat.
- His persona is heavily inspired by stereotypes of early Middle Eastern and North African culture, as seen by his clothing (turban), his drops (Exotic Scimitar), and references to a sultan in his quotes.
- As seen in his quotes, he is greedy and looks down on monotone robes.
- The Bestiary entry for the Dye Trader: "Eccentric and rather snobby to a fault, the Dye Trader has expensive tastes. He is passionate about the materials used in the dyes he sells."
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Now rewards 6 dyes after turning in a Strange Plant instead of 3.
- NPCs who die will now respawn freely, ignoring the original unique conditions which were required to spawn in the first place.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Option to exchange Strange Plants for dyes now requires Hardmode.
- Defeating pre-Hardmode bosses is no longer part of the spawn requirements, now instead always requires at least four other town NPCs.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- New "Strange Plants" quest.
- Defends self with Exotic Scimitar.
- Now sells Dye Trader's Turban, Shadow Dye, Negative Dye, and Brown Dye.
- Sprite updated.
- Now only spawns if a Strange Plant is in the player's inventory, or a dye or dye ingredient is in the inventory and any of the major pre-Hardmode bosses (Eye of Cthulhu, Skeletron, or Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu) has been defeated.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Now sells the Team Dye on a multiplayer server as well.
- Desktop 1.2.1: Now sells the Dye Trader Robe during Halloween as well.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.