- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 550
The Tavernkeep is a unique NPC vendor that accepts only Defender Medals as currency for most items, instead of coins. He will only become accessible after the player has defeated the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu. Once this criteria is met, he will appear as the stationary Unconscious Man spawning in any layer of the world, and talking to him in this state wakes him up. If the Unconscious Man is killed, he will still be able to respawn afterwards; if the Tavernkeep NPC is killed, he will move in again after some time as long as there are vacant houses.
The Tavernkeep's sentry summon weapons are associated with the Old One's Army event, and at first can only be used within that event. They function elsewhere only after the event is completed once successfully. Each of the Tavernkeep's sentry summon weapons come in three tiers: rod, cane, and staff, with the staff being the most expensive and the most powerful. The armor he sells also associates each sentry type with a specific class: Ballista for melee (tank-style), Flameburst for magic, Explosive for rangers, and Lightning Aura for "speedy melee" (for summoners).
When the player selects the "Eternia Crystal" option for the first time, the Tavernkeep will give the player 10 Defender Medals for free. All future medals must be earned by defeating at least some waves of the Old One's Army.
When threatened, he throws mugs of Ale at enemies, dealing 24 / 36 / 42 damage at the start of the game. As players progress he will gain various stat increases. He may also drop an Ale Tosser upon death, allowing the player to perform the same attack.
The Unconscious Man is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
Note: While the prices of the first six listed items (those bought by Coins) can be decreased by equipping a Discount Card or Greedy Ring, and are affected by the NPC's happiness level, the rest of the stock always costs a fixed amount of Defender Medals.
|Eternia Crystal||25||Before defeating any mechanical boss.|
|Eternia Crystal||1||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated and before defeating Golem.|
|Eternia Crystal||4||After defeating Golem.|
|Eternia Crystal Stand||1||Always available.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome, is happy enough, and before defeating Golem.|
|Defender's Forge||Always available.|
|Flameburst Rod||Always available.|
|Flameburst Cane||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Flameburst Staff||After defeating Golem.|
|Ballista Rod||Always available.|
|Ballista Cane||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Ballista Staff||After defeating Golem.|
|Explosive Trap Rod||Always available.|
|Explosive Trap Cane||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Explosive Trap Staff||After defeating Golem.|
|Lightning Aura Rod||Always available.|
|Lightning Aura Cane||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Lightning Aura Staff||After defeating Golem.|
|Monk's Bushy Brow Bald Cap||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Monk's Shirt||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Monk's Pants||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Squire's Great Helm||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Squire's Plating||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Squire's Greaves||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Huntress's Wig||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Huntress's Jerkin||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Huntress's Pants||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Apprentice's Hat||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Apprentice's Robe||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Apprentice's Trousers||After at least one mechanical boss has been defeated.|
|Valhalla Knight's Helm||After defeating Golem.|
|Valhalla Knight's Breastplate||After defeating Golem.|
|Valhalla Knight's Greaves||After defeating Golem.|
|Dark Artist's Hat||After defeating Golem.|
|Dark Artist's Robes||After defeating Golem.|
|Dark Artist's Leggings||After defeating Golem.|
|Red Riding Hood||After defeating Golem.|
|Red Riding Dress||After defeating Golem.|
|Red Riding Leggings||After defeating Golem.|
|Shinobi Infiltrator's Helmet||After defeating Golem.|
|Shinobi Infiltrator's Torso||After defeating Golem.|
|Shinobi Infiltrator's Pants||After defeating Golem.|
For more information, see NPC happiness.
|Shimmered Tavernkeep and his Map Icon.|
When submerged in Shimmer, the Tavernkeep will transform into his Shimmered form. This has no impact on gameplay or dialogue and is only a visual change. He can be returned to his classic look by submerging him in Shimmer again.
The Tavernkeep may have any of the following names:
- Dani Moo
When Demolitionist is present:
When Goblin Tinkerer is present:
When Steampunker is present:
When Dryad is present:
During a Blood Moon:
After having defeated Moon Lord:
During a Windy Day:
During a Storm:
When in a Graveyard:
During a Party:
Based on the Old One's Army:
When the player clicks Eternia Crystal:
The first time a character clicks Eternia Crystal in a world; gives 5 Defender Medals:
The following quotes loop in order when the player clicks Eternia Crystal:
When woken up:
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Hallow:
When in the Snow biome:
When near the Demolitionist:
When near the Goblin Tinkerer:
When near the Princess:
When near the Guide:
When near the Dye Trader:
- Using a Hunter Potion can help find the Unconscious Man as it will highlight his body.
- Stockpiling Eternia Crystals before defeating any mechanical bosses is a good way to save money in the long run as the price of Eternia Crystals increases after a mechanical boss is defeated.
- Each pair of armor sets (basic and advanced) boosts one of the sentry types, but also has a play class. All of them boost minion damage and the number of sentries the player can use without Etherian Mana.
- Squire and Valhalla Knight go with the Ballista and pure melee strength, with regeneration and the highest defense.
- Apprentice and Dark Artist go with the Flameburst and give magic bonuses.
- Huntress and Red Riding go with Explosive Traps and rangers.
- Monk and Shinobi Infiltrator go with the Lightning Aura, and provide a "speedy melee" setup that is probably meant for summoners, with second-best defense and speed bonuses instead of regeneration.
- After all 40 items are unlocked, items can still be refunded with quick sell/trash shortcut.
- It may be a good idea to stockpile enough Defender Medals to buy all four summon weapons of the next tier before upgrading the event (stockpiling 100 Medals before defeating any mechanical boss and stockpiling 400 before defeating Golem).
- The Tavernkeep is a character from Dungeon Defenders 2. Many of his quotes also reference the game.
- His quote "This is a big upgrade from wiping that table all day." references the fact that in Dungeon Defenders 2, he only wipes the table when the player is not talking to him.
- His quote "Moon Lord, don't you mean Abyss Lord?" references the Cthulhu-like nature shared by both the Abyss Lord from Dungeon Defenders 2 and the Moon Lord.
- Two of his quotes, "Do you think <name of Steampunker> has an extra of that gun? I know a witch that may want one." and "I know a Lavamancer that would really like that hellstone down in the underworld." reference the Gun Witch and Lavamancer heroes in Dungeon Defenders 2, respectively.
- Two of his quotes, "<Name of Dryad> seems nice. I should bring her back with me." and "Anyone see where the Dryad went?" are references to the fact that the Dryad is available in Dungeon Defenders 2.
- His quote "Have you seen any Meburs around here?" appears to refer to a Dungeon Defenders 2 creature called "ramster". In the patch notes of the game's v2.0 update it was stated that "Some people call these majestic creatures meburs."
- Approaching and standing near the Tavernkeep while holding Ale can cause him to appear to be holding his own mug of Ale.
- While he is holding Ale, the player can toast with him by continuing to hold Ale and walking towards him, which creates a subtle burst of particles when bumping glasses. This effect is purely aesthetic and has no functional effect.
- The Tavernkeep can have the names Moe, Paddy, or Ted, likely references to the bartender Moe Szyslak from the American animated sitcom The Simpsons, the Irish bar "Paddy's Pub" from the American sitcom It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and the actor Ted Danson who played the bartender Sam Malone in the American sitcom Cheers, respectively.
- One of the Tavernkeep's names, Javahawk, is a reference to Joshua "Javahawk" Javaheri, the studio director of Chromatic Games (formerly Trendy Entertainment), who developed and published Dungeon Defenders 2.
- Prior to the 126.96.36.199, the Tavernkeep had no special Party quote. As a placeholder, there was the quote "I really need some birthday text, Yorai!" (referring to Yoraiz0r, a Terraria developer) in the source code, which never appeared.
- His quote "Check in with me, and do your job." is a reference to the song Slob on My Knob by American rapper and songwriter Juicy J, a song frequently used in Internet memes.
- He sells 40 items once Golem is defeated, tied with the Golfer (with a golf score of 2000 or higher, when happy enough) for the most items sold by any NPC.
- However, the NPC with the most items sold at any time, without certain pre-conditions, is Santa Claus at 39 items.
- Despite his shop being full of items upon Golem's defeat, it is still possible to sell items to him. However, any item sold is unable to be "repurchased". Take caution when selling valuable items.
- Despite the NPC being the Tavernkeep, he does not like crowded areas.
- One of the possible names for the Tavernkeep is Barkeep, a potential reference to the trope Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep" and an example of the trope His Name Really Is "Barkeep".
- His remarks toward the Guide having a dark nature is a reference to him being the source of the Wall of Flesh, being the key to summoning it.
- It is possible for the Tavernkeep and the Golfer to share the name William.
- Prior to the 188.8.131.52 update, the rods and canes sold by the Tavernkeep were the only summon weapons that did not have the word "Staff" in their name. The Terraprisma and whips, which were introduced in 184.108.40.206, share this trait.
- Defeating Brain of Cthulhu in Corrupt worlds or vice versa will also allow the Unconscious Man to appear, although this can only be done in Hardmode if not using items from other worlds.
- The Bestiary entry for the Tavernkeep: "The Tavern Keep once managed a bar in another universe. He's here to help stop the Old One's Army from conquering this world."
- Tavern at the Dungeon Defenders 2 Wiki
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Now gives 10 Defender Medals when initially spoken to.
- Tier 2 Armor piece cost reduced from 25 to 15 Defender Medals.
- Tier 3 Armor piece cost reduced from 75 to 50 Defender Medals.
- Tier 2 Sentries cost reduced from 25 to 15 Defender Medals.
- Tier 3 Sentries cost reduced from 100 to 60 Defender Medals.
- Defender's Forge cost reduced from 75 to 50 Defender Medals.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Desktop 18.104.22.168:
- Fixed not reacting to the King Statue.
- Increased the spawn rate of the Unconscious Man.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Introduced.
- Console 1.18: Fixed an issue where Tavernkeep may not respawn after being killed.
- Console 1.17: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 22.214.171.124.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 126.96.36.199.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52.0: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11
- Information taken from the Desktop 18.104.22.168 source code, method
Terraria.NPC.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 22.214.171.124.
- steamcommunity.com → Dungeon Defenders 2 → Discussions → thread: Current Patch Notes July 27, 2017
- Information taken from the Desktop 126.96.36.199 source code,
(his new party quotes). The placeholder quote was in method
in pre-1.4 versions. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 188.8.131.52.