From Terraria Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
  • Hive item spriteold Hive item sprite
  • Hive placed
Stack digit 9.pngStack digit 9.pngStack digit 9.pngStack digit 9.png
RarityRarity level: 0
Research100 required
This article is about the block. For the background object, see Bee Hive. For the biome, see Bee Hive (biome).

Hive is a block type that Bee Hives are made from. Upon mining it may either turn into liquid honey, spawn in a Bee, or simply drop like a regular item.

(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Hive Blocks can also be acquired by dropping Honey Blocks or Crispy Honey Blocks into Shimmer.

Hive blocks can only be placed using a Hive Wand, consuming Hive blocks from the player's inventory. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Hive blocks count towards the requirements of a Jungle biome.



ResultIngredientsCrafting station
HiveHiveShimmerShimmer Transmutation(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
Work BenchWork Bench

Used in

ResultIngredientsCrafting station
Desktop versionConsole versionOld-gen console versionMobile version only:
By Hand
Nintendo 3DS version only:
Demon AltarDemon Altar
Crimson AltarCrimson Altar
Bee HiveBee HiveHeavy Work BenchHeavy Work Bench(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions) and Ecto Mist(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
Hive WallHive Wall4Work BenchWork Bench


  • When destroyed, Hive blocks will either turn into honey (1/3 (33.33%) chance) or drop like a regular item (2/3 (66.67%) chance). If the block drops as an item, there is an additional 1/2 (50%) chance that 1–2 Bees spawn (2/3 (66.67%) chance for 1 Bee, 1/3 (33.33%) chance for 2 Bees), i.e. an overall 1/3 (33.33%) chance upon mining a Hive block.[1]


  • (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Since Hive blocks count as Jungle biome blocks, they can be used to create small Jungles that the Corruption or Crimson cannot spread to.



  1. Information taken from the Desktop version Desktop source code, method KillTile_GetItemDrops() in Terraria.WorldGen.cs. The relevant part is under case 225:.