- Internal Tile ID: 79
Beds are furniture items which allow the player to set a new spawn point by pressing the ⚷ Open / Activate button on the foot half of the Bed. This requires it to be placed in a mostly valid house (see details below). On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, Beds furthermore allow the player to sleep in them by pressing the ⚷ Open / Activate button on the head half of the Bed. This makes time pass five times faster and gives a boost to health regeneration, similar to chairs and Sofas.
Beds fulfill the chair requirement for the purposes of housing. Like most other furniture, the direction a Bed is placed in depends on the direction the player is facing when placing it.
There are currently 35 craftable Beds and 5 that can be acquired from the environment. All Beds are functionally identical and differ only in appearance.
Pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the head of a bed causes the player to lie down and sleep (indicated by their eyes closing), which accelerates time by five times its normal rate (1 hour of in-game time, which would usually take 1 minute of real-life time, takes only 12 seconds while sleeping). This affects game time, including watches, the sun and moon, plant growth, and background animations (but not buff durations, NPC movement or other animations).
- It is not possible to accelerate time by sleeping during invasion events, including Blood Moons, Solar Eclipse and Lunar Events, or when an Enchanted Sundial is advancing time, but the player can still lie on beds.
- Sleeping does not affect potion cooldowns or durations. However, it does give a boost on health regeneration. The latter effect is shared with chairs and sofas.
- Time acceleration in multiplayer requires that all players be asleep.
- While sleeping, players can still interact with the environment without being kicked out of the bed. Some actions cause the player's eyes to open and time to revert to normal, whereas others do not:
Eyes will open and time will revert to normal Eyes will stay closed and time will stay accelerated
- Placing blocks.
- Using Wrenches, Wire Cutter, or a Grand Design to place or break Wires and Actuators.
- Using an item that can aim (like guns, spell, or summon). The player must aim at a 0° to 180° angle (an arc above the character). Other items that can aim (like flails, drills, shortswords) must be used at −90° to 90° (an arc facing the player's feet).
- Holding, but not using, items such as Torches and Umbrellas in the player's hand.
- Most actions involving the ⚷ Open / Activate button.
- Getting hit by an enemy, using items that can be swung (such as tools and most melee weapons), or pressing any movement keys will cause the player to get out of bed, and time to revert to normal.
Setting player spawn point
Pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the foot of a bed, when it is placed in a valid house, sets the player's spawn point to that bed. This is signified by the status message "Spawn point set!" When the same is done on a bed that has already been set as the player's spawn point, the status message "Spawn point removed!" is shown, and the player's spawn point is set back to the world's default.
The bed set as the player's current spawn point will be indicated with a bed icon on the player's minimap.
For a bed to function properly as a spawn point, it must be in a valid house. Other than the bed itself, no other furniture or lighting is required. There must also be clear space at the head of the bed for the player to stand. A bed may be placed in a non-rectangular room, as long as the leftmost 3 tiles immediately above it are left clear.
For example: There may be a bed (4×2) surrounded by blocks on the left, right, and bottom, and above the foot of the bed, as long as there is space for the player to spawn at the head of the bed.
The top-left 3 tiles just above the bed are clear. The mirror image of this arrangement is also valid.
total: 42 row(s)
|Blue Dungeon Bed
Internal Item ID: 1470
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Green Dungeon Bed
Internal Item ID: 1471
|Found in the Dungeon.|
|Pink Dungeon Bed
Internal Item ID: 1472
|Found in the Dungeon.|
Internal Item ID: 1473
|Found in Ruined houses, does not disappear in lava.|
Internal Item ID: 1720
|Dropped by Pirates.|
- As long as all conditions are met, beds can also be placed and activated underground or underwater.
- The player is still able to control weapons that throw a projectile that follow the mouse even while sleeping. (e.g. Flying Knife, Magic Missile, Dirt Rod. etc.)
- It is advisable to place and activate a bed in the same house the Nurse is living in, so immediate healing is available after recalling or respawning. Be careful not to reset the spawn point by accidentally hitting the bed upon pressing the Nurse's "heal" button, in case she is standing in front of the bed.
- There are many naturally-generated structures which can serve as suitable locations for a bed, such as Underground Cabins or the houses on Floating Islands. Some might require minor modifications, e.g. to fill background wall holes.
- Upon obtaining the Shellphone, you will now have the ability to teleport selectively to your bed spawn point or the world spawn point at any time. You may thus find it useful to move your home spawn point away from the world spawn, so that you can have two home bases.
- The Pink Dungeon Bed was previously called Red Dungeon Bed. It still is on the Old-gen console version.
- Hovering the cursor over the head of a bed will produce a Sleeping Icon.
- This Sleeping Icon is actually an unobtainable, completely unusable item the only purpose of which is to create this icon. Its item ID is 5013.
- During multiplayer, up to 2 players may sleep in a bed at once.
- Desktop 1.4.4: Introduced Ash Wood, Balloon and Reef Beds.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: Fixed a bug where speeding time up by sleeping in a bed would make some unusual visual effects.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Players can now sleep in beds, which speeds up time and increase health regeneration.
- Spider, Lesion, Bamboo, Sandstone, Nebula, Solar, Stardust and Vortex Beds added.
- Spooky, Pumpkin, and Honey beds now require a Sawmill to craft.
- Skyware Bed item and placed sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Crystal Bed added.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11:
- Meteorite, Granite, Marble and Martian Beds added.
- Now able to remove spawn point by right-clicking on the bed again.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, and Pumpkin Beds added.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: If you place a bed somewhere that would cause you to not spawn without breaking through blocks you will now get a message when trying to set your spawn point letting you know the bed is not in a suitable position.
- Desktop 1.2: Various bed types added.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Crafting tool changed from Work Bench to Sawmill.
- Desktop 1.0.2: Placing a bed far from the spawn no longer causes a player who has set their spawn there to crash on join.
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.07: Added Bone, Pumpkin, Skyware, Slime, and Spooky Beds.
- Console 1.06: Added 1.2.3 Beds.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.12715: Fixed a bug where Bed spawn set messages would not appear.
- Mobile 1.2.11212: Added Palm Wood, Mushroom, Boreal Wood, Slime, Pumpkin Beds, and all 1.2.3 Beds.
- Mobile 1.0.2: Fixed a different bug involving bed placement for Google Play release.
- Mobile 1.0.1: Fixed Bed placement bug for Android.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.