|Placeable||✔️ (3 wide × 2 high)|
|Use time||15 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Increases armor penetration for melee weapons|
The Sharpening Station is a furniture item found naturally generated in Underground Cabins in the Underground Jungle. In Hardmode, it is also sold by the Merchant for 10.
Placing and pressing ⚷ Open / Activate on the Sharpening Station grants the Sharpened buff, which increases armor penetration of all melee weapons by 12. This lasts until the player dies or leaves the world, but can be canceled at any time by right-clicking the icon (), by selecting the icon using Cycle Next/Previous Buff and then pressing Remove Buff (), or by double-tapping the buff icon ().
Unlike equipment buff items, the Sharpening Station must be placed in order to activate the buff. It can be mined with a pickaxe or drill and picked up again, even while the buff is active, which will not cancel the buff. Placement is only dependent on an adequate space of 3×2 tiles being available.
- The Sharpening Station can be activated limitlessly with no cooldown period. It is never consumed, and all players may use it to give themselves the buff.
- The Sharpening Station's armor penetration bonus actually checks if the player is holding a melee weapon, so it can also be applied to damage done by ranged, magic, or summon weapons by switching held items. This is useful for minion/sentry weapons, and some fire-and-forget weapons such as Spiky Ball, Crimson Rod, Weather Pain, Nimbus Rod, Clinger Staff, Magnet Sphere, and Rainbow Gun.
- Since it applies to all minion/sentry weapons, melee-summoner hybrid builds benefit a lot from it. However, this bonus does not apply to whips, meaning that the player will have to give up whip bonuses in place of 12 extra armor penetration.
- In real life, sharpening stations, also known as grindstones, are used to sharpen blades.
- Desktop 1.4.4: Buff duration of 10 minutes removed. The buff now lasts until the player dies or leaves the world.
- Desktop 1.4.1: Can now be purchased from the Merchant during Hardmode.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Armor penetration buff tripled from 4 to 12.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52: Introduced.