There are currently 23 different bar types. Obtaining most of these only requires their respective ores as crafting ingredients. Hellstone, Spectre, and Shroomite Bars are exceptions that require a secondary material in addition. Hallowed Bars are not crafted but are instead dropped by the mechanical bosses. Some bars may also be obtained randomly from crates.
- Bars can be placed like furniture, take up a space of one tile, and can be stacked on top of each other. When placed in this manner, they can be used just like platforms, to stand on and drop down from, and furniture can be placed on the top (torches also to the sides).
- Bars cannot be placed without another block underneath them; this makes it impossible to build a house made of bars without the aid of other blocks. This mechanic makes breaking bars similar to cutting down trees, where breaking the bottom bar in a stack will break all bars above it.
- The only way to make placed bars "float" would be to abuse the fact that chests with items inside cannot be destroyed. Using bars as support under such a chest would mean they cannot be destroyed until the chest is emptied. This allows them to float in-air without any supporting blocks.
- Hallowed Bars are the only bars to not require an ore to be made.
- Although a single bar is consumed when it is placed, the tile sprite appears to be 3 or possible 4 bars stacked on top of each other.
- The textures of the pre-Hardmode bars, such as Copper Bars, are slightly different to Hardmode bars in shape (observe the bottom-right corner of each texture). The only exception to this is the Chlorophyte Bar, which is the same shape as a pre-Hardmode bar.
- The old bar textures are modified versions of the old Minecraft ingot textures, as seen when comparing e.g. the old Minecraft iron ingot and the old Terraria Iron Bar.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Stack limit for all bars increased from 99 to 999.
- Desktop 1.2:
- Desktop-Release: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Made the same changes from PS4’s 1.0.750.0 update. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: ()
- Introduced Spectre Bar and Luminite Bar.
- Retextured all bars.
- Console 1.02:
- Added Tin Bar, Lead Bar, Tungsten Bar, Platinum Bar, Crimtane Bar, Palladium Bar, Orichalcum Bar, Titanium Bar, Hallowed Bar, Chlorophyte Bar, and Shroomite Bar.
- Bars are now placeable.
- Console-Release: Introduced basic bars, along with Cobalt Bar, Mythril Bar, and Adamantite Bar.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.