The Glowstick is a consumable light source that can be held or be tossed a fair distance, and works underwater, but cannot be placed on a wall or floor like torches can (though the Sticky Glowstick will stick to surfaces they are thrown against). Glowsticks will emit light for a lengthy period of time after being thrown, and have a 1/3 (33.33%) chance to be recoverable after 5 minutes. Glowsticks can be purchased from the Merchant for 10 CC each during the night or from the Skeleton Merchant for 10 CC during the day, on any moon phase except for Full Moons. Glowsticks are always dropped from Blue, Pink, and Green Jellyfish, (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) as well as from Flying Fish and Raincoat Zombies. Glowsticks are also commonly found in Pots and Chests.
- Glowsticks are thrown by being used (that is, pressing the ⚒ Use / Attack key when the Glowstick is selected). They are not thrown by pressing the Throw key; trying to do that will drop the entire stack, and the stack will only travel a few tiles away from the player.
- After being thrown, Glowsticks will disappear if the player exits the world.
- The Glowstick can be used as a moving light source while mining directly downward, as it will continue to drop along with the player when the blocks underneath it are mined away.
- Glowsticks, unlike torches, can be thrown to light an area from a distance. This also makes them useful for illuminating an underground area during The Torch God event.
- Just like boomerangs, a Glowstick can pass through a 1-block-thick wall if thrown at the right angle.
- Since they work underwater, they can be a good, cheap substitute for torches.
- Desktop 1.0.6:
- Buy and sell prices reduced from 20 CC / 4 CC to 10 CC / 2 CC.
- Brightness increased.