Corals are crafting materials which can be found in the Ocean biomes at the ends of the world. They grow naturally on Sand Blocks underwater and within 250 tiles of the edges of the map and above the depth of −10 feet / 0 feet, as long as no more than 5 Corals are within a 7-tile range. Corals can be harvested either with a pickaxe/drill, by mining out the sand underneath them, or by placing a block above them. Corals can be placed for decoration and will have one of many appearances, much like Seashells.
Corals will spawn slower on sand under less than 5 tiles of water. Spawn rates scale with rain, wind and empty space up to 14 tiles above the Sand Block.
Corals will only spawn on sand under at least 5 tiles of water. Rain and wind do not affect spawn rates.
|Coral Torch3||By Hand|
|Shell Pile4||Heavy Work Bench|
|Neptune's Shell||Mythril Anvil|
|Gills Potion||Placed Bottle|
- Corals are not limited to only spawning within the generated Ocean's water. As long as the other limits are respected, Corals can grow in water basins on platforms even in the Space layer.
- On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version:
- When Corals spawn, they make an audible "thump" sound.
- Spawn rates are increased during rainy and windy weather, with a maximum bonus when both are at their strongest.
- Spawn rates are increased for every empty tile above a Sand Block, up to 14 tiles. This means two platforms of sand within 14 tiles would have the same spawn rate if not for the extra layer of solid block needed under the sand. Empty tiles can include walls and inactive tiles.
- Spawn rates are decreased if 1 or more Seashell or Coral are within 11 tiles, and Corals can no longer spawn if more than 5 Seashells or Corals are within 7 tiles.
- Corals are animals.
- On earlier versions, while each piece of Coral only needed one block under it, it essentially took up an extra half-space on each side, preventing walls or objects from being placed directly to either side. For example, to place 5 Corals between walls, one would have needed the walls to be at least 11 tiles apart. To fit the same 5 Corals on an open platform, it only needed to be 9 blocks wide.
- Desktop 1.4.4: Now used to craft the Reef Block.
- Desktop 1.4.1: Now used to craft the Capricorn Helmet.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Now correctly matches its tile placement preview.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Now used to craft Coralstone Blocks, Coral Torches and Shell Piles.
- Can now spawn on sand under less than 5 tiles of water.
- Increased spawn rates. Spawn rates are now also affected by Rain, Wind and the amount of empty space above sand.
- Sprites updated.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprites updated.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: No longer used to craft the Neptune's Shell, as it is now dropped by the Creature from the Deep.
- Desktop 1.2.4: Now used for crafting the Sonar Potion.
- Desktop 1.2: Coral must be collected by a pickaxe, stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- Desktop 1.0.5: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.