Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Shadow Chest is a storage item which is found only in The Underworld, generally on top of or within Ruined Houses, and contains rare items.
All Shadow Chests are initially locked, requiring a Shadow Key to open. The key is not consumed when used. Each Shadow Chest contains one high-tier item of rarity, along with other standard Underground loot.
Like all other naturally-occurring Chests, Shadow Chests can be freed with a pickaxe or drill after being emptied, and picked up by the player for placement and use elsewhere.
Each Shadow Chest will always contain one primary item, and can potentially contain multiple secondary items, or none at all. In addition, it can contain one or more common items.
|Flower of Fire|
( in regular worlds)
( in don't dig up and get fixed boi worlds)
|Ornate Shadow Key||1|
|Slice of Hell Cake||1|
|Gold Bar(in worlds with Gold)|
Platinum Bar(in worlds with Platinum)
|Silver Bullet(in worlds with Silver)|
Tungsten Bullet(in worlds with Tungsten)
|Mana Regeneration Potion|
|Obsidian Skin Potion|
|Magic Power Potion|
|Water Walking Potion|
|Obsidian Skin Potion|
|Potion of Return|
|Trapped Shadow Chest||Heavy Work Bench|
- Shadow Chests can contain Lifeforce and Teleportation Potions, which are unavailable for crafting before Hardmode.
- Mimics can appear as a locked Shadow Chest, making them harder to spot without a Lifeform Analyzer/Metal Detector or their upgrades.
- Gold Chests that spawn within 250 blocks of the bottom of the world will generate the same common items as Shadow Chests.
- Mimics can never spawn as an unlocked Shadow Chest. Unlocking every Shadow Chest during pre-Hardmode will give them away easily in Hardmode.
- The Drax can be found in Shadow Chests on the Nintendo version, making it accessible in pre-Hardmode and giving players a significant mining advantage.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Instead of being primary loot, the Treasure Magnet is now a 1/5 chance secondary loot in Shadow Chests and Obsidian Lock Boxes.
- The Slice of Hell Cake can now be found along with the Ornate Shadow Key, raising its loot chance from
9*9/100 (9%) to 10*1/10 (10%)
- Desktop 1.4.1: Shadow Chests are now more numerous in world generation, with the limit increasing from 7–10 to 10–15.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Can now contain Treasure Magnet, Demonic Hellcart, Ornate Shadow Key, Potion of Return, and Slice of Hell Cake.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Now used to craft the Trapped Shadow Chest.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Desktop 1.2.3: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Desktop 1.2: Now requires a pickaxe or drill instead of a hammer to pick up.
- Desktop 1.0.6: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests. ()
- Console 1.06: Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Console 1.02: Now requires a pickaxe or drill instead of a hammer to pick up.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced with changes up to Desktop 184.108.40.206.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11:
- Drax no longer appear in Shadow Chests.
- The Hellwing Bow can now be found in Shadow Chests.
- Can now be renamed along with other placed storage items.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Now requires a pickaxe or drill instead of a hammer to pick up.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced. Contains some items previously dropped by Underworld enemies and is picked up with a pickaxe or drill.