The Hellwing Bow is a bow found in Shadow Chests in the Underworld and in Obsidian Lock Boxes obtained from Obsidian and Hellstone Crates. All arrows are fired in a ~30° cone from the Hellwing Bow which causes it to be very inaccurate at long distances. In addition, Wooden Arrows are converted into Hellwings, flaming bat projectiles that travel in a semi-straight line, can pierce infinitely, and will dissipate once hitting a surface. All other arrow types are not converted and will retain their special properties.
Its best modifier is Unreal.
- This bow is very inaccurate and has a tendency to fire arrows at a steep angle which will usually result in the projectile hitting a wall or the floor rather than the target, especially if used against small enemies or from a long distance.
- The flaming bat projectiles can pierce infinitely. This means if targets are in a long line, all targets can be affected.
- The flaming bat projectiles will not allow for recovery of the arrow used to fire it.
- While it is highly inaccurate, the Hellwing Bow deals unusually high damage relative to its rate of fire. It is best used with Wooden Arrows, and at closer ranges or on large targets to lower the effects of its occasional misfires.
- In addition, worm-type enemies can suffer extreme amounts of damage from the flaming bat projectiles due to the piercing effect, making the Underworld's native Bone Serpents easier to deal with.
- This bow is very effective against the Wall of Flesh, especially if paired with Hellfire Arrows. Its inaccuracy is actually a benefit, as this means the player can keep their distance while easily dealing with the Hungry. Once the Hungry are dead, the Wall of Flesh's shape means that the player will almost always hit either the two eyes or the mouth when firing.
- Because of its fast use time, infinite piercing, and comparatively high knockback, the Hellwing Bow is a very good crowd control tool. It is even viable throughout early Hardmode. The Endless Quiver, an ammunition type well suited for the bow, also becomes available at this time.
- This is the second fastest bow-type weapon in the game, only losing narrowly to the Stake Launcher. It fires faster than all other bows and repeaters, including Phantasm (whose use time of 12 does not accurately reflect its true speed). However, it also has the lowest velocity of all arrow-firing weapons.
- On the Console version and Mobile version, existing Sharangas were replaced with Hellwing Bows upon updating to the 220.127.116.11 equivalent.