Butcher's Chainsaw

From Terraria Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Desktop versionConsole versionMobile version
Desktop/Console/Mobile-Only Content: This information applies only to the Desktop, Console, and Mobile versions of Terraria.
Butcher's Chainsaw
  • Butcher's Chainsaw item sprite
Stack digit 1.png
  • Pickaxe mask.png 0%
  • Hammer mask.png 0%
  • Axe mask.png 150%
Damage120 (Melee)
Knockback8 (Very strong)
Bonus-1 range
Critical chance4%
Use time15 (Very fast)
Tool speed4
TooltipSparks emit from struck enemies
RarityRarity level: 8
Sell10 GC
Research1 required
Inflicts Debuff
DebuffHellfireHellfire(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
Debuff tooltipSlowly losing life
Duration1–4 seconds
Projectiles created
  • Butcher's Chainsaw
    Butcher's Chainsaw
  • Spark
  • Internal Item ID: 3098 (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
  • Internal Buff ID: 323 (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
  • Internal Projectile ID: 509, 504
Obtained from Obtained from
Classic mode icon.png Classic
Expert mode icon.png Expert
Master mode icon.png Master
Butcher(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)Butcher.gifButcher(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)12.5%
The Butcher's Chainsaw attacking Target Dummies. Notice how the sparks deal half damage and inflict the Hellfire debuff.

The Butcher's Chainsaw is a Hardmode, post-Plantera chainsaw that, upon striking an enemy or critter, emits 1–4 sparks akin to the projectiles produced by the Wand of Sparking, dealing damage to nearby enemies as well. The Butcher's Chainsaw's sparks pierce up to two enemies, deal 50% of the weapon's damage (60 base damage), and inflict 20% of its knockback (base knockback of 1.6 (Very weak)).[1] Sparks also have a 1/2 (50%) chance to inflict the Hellfire debuff onto damaged enemies for 1–4 seconds. The Butcher's Chainsaw has a 1/40 (2.5%) / 3/80 (3.75%) chance to drop from Butchers during the Solar Eclipse event.

Its best modifier is Godly or Demonic. Both modifiers increase the average damage output by the same amount.


  • Sparks will also travel randomized distances within a 45° cone and never travel beyond 30 tiles in any direction.
  • The Butcher's Chainsaw strikes an enemy twice per use, and each strike seems to have an approximately 50% chance to generate 1–2 sparks.
  • The Butcher's Chainsaw's sparks inflict melee damage, meaning that any melee buffs, accessories, or armor will boost them accordingly.
  • The duration of the Hellfire debuff inflicted by the sparks is as follows:[2] 5/6 (83.33%) chance for 1–2 seconds and 1/6 (16.67%) for 2–4 seconds (average duration is 1.75 seconds).


  • Due to its high damage per hit and ability to hit enemies multiple times in rapid succession, the Butcher's Chainsaw has a high DPS. With damage-boosting modifiers/accessories, the weapon has a higher potential DPS than other weapons available after Plantera, including the Terra Blade.
  • As the Hellfire debuff only applies to enemies hit by the sparks, not by the chainsaw itself, careful positioning is required to make full use of the weapon's damage potential.


  • The Butcher and the Butcher's Chainsaw are both a tribute to the 1974 American slasher film The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.[3]
  • The Butcher's Chainsaw has the highest base damage and knockback of any tool, due to it being designed primarily for combat.
  • Enemies immune to the Hellfire debuff do not resist the damage from the sparks.
  • Like all chainsaws, it will stop functioning after a minute and has to be restarted.


  • Desktop 1.4.4:
    • Both the Chainsaw and its Sparks now use static immune frames: the sparks are now able to hit the same target that they are being spawned off of when hitting with the chainsaw.
    • Spark projectiles now inflicts Hellfire instead of On Fire.
    • Average debuff duration increased from 1.5 seconds to 1.75 seconds.
  • Desktop
    • Sparks now deal melee damage instead of magic damage.
    • All drills and chainsaws now dig faster than their non-mechanical counterparts, but have shorter range.
    • Additionally, optimized digging loadouts still perform better on pickaxes/axes, but drills and chainsaws will be faster on non-optimized loadouts.
    • Increased On Fire! chance from 33% to 50%.


  1. Information taken from the Desktop version Desktop source code, method Damage() in Terraria.Projectile.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version Desktop version is
  2. Information taken from the Desktop version Desktop source code, method StatusNPC() in Terraria.Projectile.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version Desktop version is
  3. https://twitter.com/CrownoO/status/558347401141161985