|Use time||20 (Very fast)|
|Tooltip||Summons a rideable basilisk mount|
|Buff tooltip||Crash into anyone... and EVERYONE!|
The Ancient Horn is a Hardmode mount summoning item. When used, it summons a rideable Basilisk Mount which gives the player the ability to charge through enemies, damaging them in the process. In Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Basilisk Mount can do an extra jump. It can be rarely (2% chance) dropped by the Basilisk.
The Basilisk mount provides accelerated land speed at 41 mph and provides increased jump height (14 tiles/28 feet), though is still hindered by water as usual. While mounted on the Basilisk, the player is immune to knockback and only takes 20% fall damage.
If the Basilisk is moving at a speed of least 21 mph, running through enemies inflicts 90 base damage, not counting enemy defense. This damage is considered summon damage, meaning that minion-enhancing items will improve it. Enemies that are damaged by this attack do not inflict contact damage on the player, but the player will suffer contact damage from enemies that survive it, if the hitbox of the player gets hit.
The mount emits a faint red glow from 27' underground downwards. This light does not grow stronger as the player descends, and its color is unaffected by dyes.
- Compared to the Unicorn Mount, the Basilisk is much slower, but has much more acceleration and lower height, making it more suitable for underground exploration. It can also be better for battle depending on the player's gear, as it trades the Unicorn's invulnerability for a lower charge delay and higher damage.
- When used with the Neptune's Shell, the Basilisk mount is capable of extreme mobility underwater, competing with that of the Turtle Mount and even Cute Fishron (in the air).
- Using an Umbrella or Djinn's Curse with this mount will cause the player to glide through the air at significant speeds, allowing the player to move long distances quickly when jumping from a high ledge.
- The Basilisk is capable of charging through the segments of the Eater of Worlds and The Destroyer with minimal damage to the player. When running along the Destroyer's body, the Basilisk can achieve very high DPS due to summon damage bypassing the Destroyer's high defense.
- The Basilisk mount is resistant to the Sandstorm’s Mighty Wind Debuff while in motion, meaning that regardless of which direction the wind is pushing you, your speed and charge time is not affected. This also applies to jumping against the wind. This is very useful when traversing the Desert during this event. However, the Basilisk mount is not resistant to the wind pushing the player when standing still.
- Both the Basilisk and Unicorn Mount's charge abilities operate the same way Sprinting accessories do in terms of momentum. This means that mounting while sprinting, dashing with the Shield of Cthulhu or Tabi, or moving quickly through the use of a canceled grapple will immediately cause the Basilisk to begin charging, even if the distance covered would normally not be enough to trigger it.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Basilisk Mount now has a double jump.
- Desktop 1.3.3: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.
- Mobile 126.96.36.199.0: Introduced with changes from Desktop 188.8.131.52.