Ancient Shadow armor is an armor set that reproduces the pre-1.0.3 Shadow armor design, and is otherwise identical in all ways to the current Shadow armor set. Each piece is interchangeable with the equivalent Shadow armor piece, while still granting the same set bonus.
When the full set is equipped, the player will emit purple bubbles, and create a semi-transparent after-image effect behind themselves when moving. This effect appears to be clones of the player. These clones do not appear to have bodies inside of the armor, as there is no face prevalent.
Each piece has a 1/525 (0.19%) chance of being dropped by an Eater of Souls.
The after-image effect when moving.
The bubble effect of the armor.
- If Ancient Shadow armor is equipped in social slots, the visual after-image effect will still appear, even though the set bonus will not be given.
- The set bonus is still given if Ancient Shadow armor and Shadow armor are mixed. However, the visual after-image effect that comes with either set will not be given.
- With a decent amount of gear with a new player, Eaters of Souls can be farmed to skip to Shadow armor very early on.
- The Corrupt Statue allows this armor to be obtained even in Crimson worlds.
- Despite its very low drop chance, it is actually quite easy to farm. Simply make two sloped sides leading onto lava. The Eater of Souls' AI will simply fly at the slopes and be guided onto the lava, allowing the player to farm mostly AFK. It is wise to build it in the air to make sure Devourers do not disturb the farming process.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Set bonus reworked to provide a more flexible speed increase system, similar to Magiluminescence. Unlike Magiluminescence, this works while in the air.
- +7% melee speed on each piece has been removed, and replaced with +5% universal critical chance.
- Ancient Shadow armor is now used to craft Shadow armor via shimmer.