Brain of Confusion
|Tooltip||Has a chance to create illusions and dodge an attack|
Temporarily increase critical chance after dodge
May confuse nearby enemies after being struck
|Debuff tooltip||Increased critical chance|
- Brain of Confusion
- Internal Item ID: 3223
- Internal Buff ID: 321
- Internal Projectile ID: 565
(Brain of Cthulhu)
(Brain of Cthulhu)
The Brain of Confusion is an Expert Mode accessory item obtained from the Treasure Bag dropped by the Brain of Cthulhu. Upon taking damage with the Brain of Confusion equipped, nearby enemies have a
60*3/5 (60%) chance of receiving the Confused debuff for at minimum 1.5 seconds. The chance, duration, and area of effect of the debuff are based on the amount of damage taken.
Furthermore, the player wielding it has a
16.67*1/6 (16.67%) chance of dodging an attack, which inflicts the Cerebral Mindtrick debuff on them for four seconds. Despite being a debuff, it increases critical strike chance and summon damage by 10%. While the debuff is active, the player cannot dodge another attack.
Inflicting Confused on enemies
The base chance to inflict the Confused debuff is
60*3/5 (60%). It is increased by 0.4*1/250 (0.4%) per point of damage taken, hence with 100 or more damage taken, the debuff is guaranteed to be inflicted.
The debuff duration is determined randomly, and the bounds depend on the amount of damage taken:
The values are in seconds.
The range within which enemies are affected is determined randomly as well. There are certain damage thresholds that affect which equation to use:
The values are in pixels; divide by 16 to obtain tiles.
|Damage taken||Debuff chance||Debuff duration||Debuff range|
|1||1.5–5 seconds||12.5–18.88 tiles|
|32||1.67–5.27 seconds||13.5–22.75 tiles|
|50||1.77–5.42 seconds||14.06–25 tiles|
|78||1.93–5.65 seconds||14.94–28.5 tiles|
|100||2.05–5.83 seconds||15.63–31.25 tiles|
|300||3.17–7.5 seconds||21.88–46.88 tiles|
- The effect can be activated by any form of direct damage, including damage taken by traps and thorny bushes. It is not activated from damage inflicted over time, e.g. debuffs.
- Each time the effect is triggered, a flying brain projectile will be spawned. It is a purely visual effect.
- The Brain of Confusion is not affected by dyes.
16.67*1/6 (16.67%) chance to nullify incoming damage can be viewed as a dynamic 16.7% damage reduction that is not a part of the overall defense system. However, this is not as reliable as a flat damage reduction bonus or defense bonus provided through other means such as the Worm Scarf.
- Unlike the Worm Scarf, having 6 or more Brains of Confusion equipped at the same time does not grant a 100% chance to dodge attacks.
- The chance that the Confused debuff is inflicted, as well as its duration, is calculated for each enemy within range individually.
- The added chance to dodge nearly matches the percentage of damage prevented by the Brain of Confusion's Corruption counterpart, the Worm Scarf. This means that both accessories will, on average, prevent the same amount of damage but in a different way. Depending on the scenario, the Brain of Confusion may even be superior to the Worm Scarf. Often in Master Mode, taking damage in the first place can be extremely dangerous, so a chance to dodge can prove to be more useful in tight situations (as taking 17% reduced damage from the Worm Scarf may still be too much).
- The short-term DPS increase from the critical hit chance increase after a successful dodge can allow the player to deal much more damage to enemies or bosses for a short period of time. Some could consider this to solidify the Brain of Confusion's place as the DPS version of the Worm Scarf.
- However, the best of both worlds would be the use of both accessories together, significantly increasing the player's chances of survival, while also improving DPS capability.
- The Brain of Confusion's dodge ability stacks with the effect of the Black Belt/Master Ninja Gear and Holy Protection. Together with the Black Belt/Master Ninja Gear, the combined chance to dodge an incoming attack is
25*1/4 (25%). This can be very useful in Master Mode.
- Since Cerebral Mindtrick is a debuff, it can be removed by the Nurse. While this removes the critical strike chance bonus, it allows dodging another attack immediately.
- Since Cerebral Mindtrick also provides a summon damage bonus, it is a viable option for summoners.
- Prior to the addition of Cerebral Mindtrick in 184.108.40.206, the Brain of Confusion was sometimes considered to be a disappointment compared to the Worm Scarf, as its sole function was to occasionally confuse enemies. Still, even this effect alone can be useful in certain circumstances, such as during events, or for preventing the player from being swarmed by enemies such as Cave Bats.
- Desktop 1.4.1:
- Halved the critical chance and summon damage bonus of Cerebral Mindtrick from 20% to 10%.
- Reduced the duration of Cerebral Mindtrick from 5 to 4 seconds.
- Fixed an issue where dodged attacks could still result in debuffs on the player.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now grants a chance to dodge an attack. A successful dodge inflicts the player with Cerebral Mindtrick, which provides a 20% bonus to critical strike chance and summon damage for 5 seconds.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 22.214.171.124: Introduced.