- Internal Item ID: 4988 (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- Internal Tile ID: 129 (18, 19)
The appearance of the Gelatin Crystal in-game.
The Gelatin Crystal is a Hardmode boss-summoning item used to summon the Queen Slime. When a Crystal Shard is to be generated on Pearlstone or Pink Ice Blocks in the Underground Hallow, it has a 1/50 (2%) chance to be replaced by a Gelatin Crystal instead. It drops the item used to summon the Queen Slime upon breaking it and can be used at any time of day and any depth, as long as the player is in the Hallow.
- The Gelatin Crystal glows pink and changes to blue and back in a cycle, which makes it stand out among the similar-looking Crystal Shards.
- It can only be used in The Hallow or Underground Hallow. Attempting to use it in any other biome will have no effect, and will not consume the item.
- Gelatin Crystals will generate in worlds created before 188.8.131.52 and after, so it is unnecessary to create a new world to obtain them.
- Similar to Crystal Shards, Gelatin Crystals can be quickly farmed by placing rows of Pearlstone Blocks or Pink Ice Blocks in straight lines in the Underground Hallow.
- Unlike Plantera's Bulbs, another type of naturally spawning boss-summoning item, Gelatin Crystals' generation does not have a minimum distance restriction between each other. This can lead to two or more of them generating very close together.
- Despite the difference, the Gelatin Crystal will be identified as a Crystal Shard on the minimap.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Can now be detected by the Metal Detector and its upgrades.
- Can now naturally grow on Pearlsand, Hardened Pearlsand, and Pearlsandstone Blocks.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Can no longer be used to summon multiple Queen Slimes if one is already alive.