Treasure Bags are consumable items obtained in Expert Mode and Master Mode as a reward for defeating bosses. Its contents depend on the boss it comes from. It is opened by using either ⚷ Open / Activate when it is inside the inventory, or ⚒ Use / Attack while it is selected in the hotbar. In multiplayer, each player that deals damage to the boss receives one Treasure Bag upon completion. Treasure Bags are client-side and will despawn upon exiting the world. See Notes for details.
Each Treasure Bag contains the boss's usual drops from Classic Mode, along with one Expert Mode-exclusive item (highlighted items below) – with the exception of the Lunatic Cultist, Dark Mage, Betsy, and Ogre, who currently do not provide an Expert mode-exclusive item. Hardmode bosses' Treasure Bags additionally have a
5*1/20 (5%) chance to contain one random set of developer items (except for Queen Slime).
Expert mode-exclusive items all have the rarity, with the exception of 0x33's Aviators.
Each Treasure Bag has an internal rarity, despite being Expert items, which always have a rarity.
In addition to the above, all Treasure Bags from Hardmode bosses (except Queen Slime's) have a 5% chance to contain a random set of developer items, meaning that each set has a 0.28% chance of being in a Hardmode boss Treasure Bag. Obtaining a Treasure Bag in an Expert world, then opening the bag in a Normal world will retain the Treasure Bag's chance to yield developer items.
Expert-exclusive item details
- In singleplayer, a Treasure Bag is always dropped when a boss is defeated, regardless of how the player defeated the boss.
- In multiplayer, Treasure Bag drop is determined per player. Whether the Treasure Bag is dropped for a player is based on whether they dealt damage to the boss. Players who did not deal at least 1 point of damage to the boss will not receive a Treasure Bag.
- Additionally, damage dealt by NPCs' attacks, Explosive Bunnies, traps, Explosives, and lava is not accounted for any player. For example, if there is only one player in the server, and they only use said damaging methods to kill a boss, a Treasure Bag will not be dropped.
- However, damaging items that involve player interaction, such as Bombs, Cannons, Inferno Potions, Spore Sac, etc., will count as player-dealt damage.
- Treasure yields are considerably higher in multiplayer - multiple bags are handed out, with each containing the entire reward of a kill, and drop rates on the boss's unique items are often doubled.
- Trophies are not obtained from Treasure Bags. Instead, they are dropped separately from the boss itself, and will only drop one at a time in multiplayer.
- Pre-Hardmode Treasure Bags can drop developer items in a Celebrationmk10 world.
- In multiplayer, it is advisable to open Treasure Bags in a quiet area if the player has a full inventory, as the delay in item pick up can cause items to be picked up by other players.
- In multiplayer, if player A disconnects from the server after dealing damage to a boss, the next player who connects to the server (player A themselves, or another player) will get the "qualification" for dropping the Treasure Bag. For example, if player A reconnects after another player has already connected, player A will not be able to get the Treasure Bag.
- The Moon Lord's Treasure Bag is the only one to include three / two Expert Mode items.
- It also does not contain any coins.
- Betsy's Treasure Bag is the only (obtainable) bag that does not have an Expert mode item. It also does not contain coins, but Defender Medals instead.
- The Lunatic Cultist, Ogre, and Dark Mage have sprites for a Treasure Bag, even though they do not drop one.
- Unlike the Lunatic Cultist's Treasure Bag, the Ogre and Dark Mage do not have data assigned to their Treasure Bags, as attempting to hack in either one will cause them to disappear from the player's inventory instantly.
- Queen Slime's Treasure Bag is the only Hardmode Treasure Bag to not drop developer items.
- Treasure Bags are referred to as "Boss Bag" in their Item IDs.
- Desktop 1.4.3:
- Added Deerclops' Treasure Bag.
- All Treasure Bags now display the name of their related boss in parentheses (instead of only "Treasure Bag").
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Dropped Treasure Bags now have a special light effect around to highlight them.
- Added Queen Slime and Empress of Light's Treasure Bags.
- Sprites updated.
- Added Ghostar, Safeman, FoodBarbarian and Grox the Great's sets to the drop pool.
- Added Celestial Starboard to Moon Lord's Treasure Bag.
- Added Arkhalis to Arkhalis' set.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed Betsy's Treasure Bag having an incorrect name (was "ItemName.BossBagBetsy").