Souls are Hardmode crafting materials dropped by enemies. There are a total of (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 6 / (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) 7 types of souls. The most common ones are the Souls of Light and Night, which are dropped in the Cavern layer of Underground Hallow and Underground Corruption/Crimson, respectively. For detailed info about the condition of enemies dropping these souls, see Notes. Most of the remaining souls drop from the mechanical bosses.
- The drop conditions of Souls of Light and Night are as following:
- The world is in Hardmode.
- The enemy is in a respective biome in the Cavern layer and below.
- In a Don't dig up(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) world, the enemy only needs to be in the respective biome to drop a soul.
- The enemy is not a boss, a Slimer with wings, (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) and certain slimes:
- The enemy's health is more than 1 (i.e. not a spell, Fungi Spore, Spore, etc.).
- The enemy drops at least 1 CC (i.e. Statue-spawned enemies, Meteor Heads during Hardmode, boss minions, etc. will not drop souls).
- Note that only the biome (Cavern layer Underground Corruption/Crimson or Hallow) determines what soul will be dropped, not the enemy. For instance, an Illuminant Bat in the Underground Corruption will drop Souls of Night, and a Corruptor in the Underground Hallow will drop Souls of Light. All enemies that fulfill conditions mentioned above, including the pre-Hardmode enemies, can drop Souls of Night or Souls of Light if in the appropriate biome.
- Unlike most other enemy drops, souls are not affected by gravity (except the Souls of Blight), and thus remain floating in midair at the location where the enemy was killed. For large enemies and bosses, this is usually the enemy's head, regardless of where the final strike occurred.
- An easy way to obtain Souls of Night and Light is to go to the Dungeon and spray Red/Purple/Blue Solution with the Clentaminator at different areas, converting the area into the respective biome. Because of the Dungeon's high spawn rate, it is possible to get a large amount of souls fairly quickly.
- (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) Another very effective way to farm Souls of Night and Light is to craft a Slime Crown and summon King Slime in the appropriate Cavern biome. Each fight often yields over 20 souls from all of the slimes that are spawned.
Pre-1.3 souls sprites.
- All of the souls' names rhyme with each other, bearing the suffix -ight.
- Souls of Blight are the only souls without an animation. This is because they are unavailable on 1.3, the update which introduced animated soul sprites.
- There is only one soul whose tooltip directly states the name of the enemy it is dropped from, the Soul of Might.
- (3DS version) It is also the only soul that is obtainable pre-Hardmode.
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 126.96.36.199 source code, method
Terraria.Content.ItemDropRules.Conditions.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 188.8.131.52.
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 184.108.40.206 source code, method