|Use time||45 (Very slow)|
|Tooltip||Summons the Blood Moon|
'What a horrible night to have a curse.'
- Internal Item ID: 4271
The Bloody Tear is a consumable item used to summon a Blood Moon. It can only be used at night, and attempting to use it during the day or during a Blood Moon will not summon a Blood Moon/affect the ongoing Blood Moon, nor consume the item.
The Bloody Tear can only be dropped during a Blood Moon by non statue-spawned enemies (i.e. enemies killed after the Blood Moon has ended do not drop it), or by The Groom and The Bride at any time. The drop rates are
1*1/100 (1%) chance from common Blood Moon enemies, 4*1/25 (4%) chance by the Wandering Eye Fish, Zombie Merman, Blood Eel, and Hemogoblin Shark, 10*1/10 (10%) chance by the clown, and 20*1/5 (20%) chance by The Groom and The Bride.
Additionally, the Dreadnautilus can drop it at any time with a
50*1/2 (50%) / 100*1/1 (100%) chance.
- If the Bloody Tear is consumed when the moon phase is New Moon, the moon phase will be set to Waxing Crescent.
- Attempting to use a Bloody Tear during the Frost Moon or Pumpkin Moon will not spawn a Blood Moon, but will still consume the Bloody Tear.
- If the player wants a Slap Hand, they can hold on to a Bloody Tear until they find a Skeleton Merchant. They then can use the Bloody Tear, allowing the Skeleton Merchant to sell a Slap Hand.
- Since using the Bloody Tear on a New Moon will cause it to change into a Waxing Crescent, it can be used for acquiring Phase-dependent content faster.
- The tooltip is a reference to Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, in which the game would show the same text whenever it became night. The name of the item comes from a track in Castlevania II known as "Bloody Tears".
- The tooltip is also shared with Mechdusa's status message when they are about to spawn.
- Desktop 1.4.4: The Brides and Grooms that spawn in Graveyards can now drop Bloody Tears even if it is not a Blood Moon.
- Desktop 1.4.1: Increased drop chances.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Introduced.
- Console 22.214.171.124.4.1: Introduced.
- Switch 126.96.36.199.5: Introduced.
- Mobile 188.8.131.52.0: Introduced.
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 184.108.40.206 source code, method
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, method
Terraria.Player.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 18.104.22.168.