The Life Fruit is a Hardmode plant that grows exclusively on Jungle grass in any area within the Underground layer or below. Once harvested and used, a Life Fruit permanently increases the player's health capacity by 5 and restores the player's health by 5, turning one of the hearts in the player's health meter golden. Life Fruit can only be used once a player has reached the 400 health cap from consuming Life Crystals.
A total of 20 Life Fruit are required to reach the maximum 500 health capacity, at which point all of the player's hearts will be golden. Once this is reached, the player's health cannot be manually increased beyond 500, with the exception of the effects of the Lifeforce buff.
The icon for a Life Fruit on the map.
- Life Fruit can spawn on any block of Jungle grass (including player-placed ones) below the surface; it does not have to be in an Underground Jungle biome. However, they will never spawn within a (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 122×122 (102×102) / (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) 162×162 tile area (centered on the Life Fruit) of each other, i.e. they will be spaced (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 60 (50) / (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) 80 tiles apart at maximum concentration.
- Like other plants, Life Fruit can be harvested with any weapon or tool; a pickaxe is not required, and any attack can uproot them. They will also be uprooted if the Jungle grass beneath them is replaced.
- Life Fruit are highlighted by the Spelunker buff or Spelunker Glowsticks by a yellow glimmer, like ores and treasures.
- Life Fruit currently has the highest Metal Detector value. This can make searching for ores or other valuables more difficult once full health has been reached as any errant Life Fruit will be prioritized over everything else in the area.
- On the minimap, Life Fruit are 2×2 squares and are a slightly lighter color of green than the rest of the foliage around it. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) When hovered over, they are labeled as "Life Fruit".
Get a Life
• “Consume a life fruit, which grows in the thick of subterranean jungle grass.”
Consume a Life Fruit
. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
• “Attain maximum life and mana possible without accessories or buffs.”
Reach maximum health
. (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
• “You have the maximum health and mana!”
Max out your health
. (Old-gen console version)
- The first Life Fruit obtained should ideally be turned into an Aegis Fruit, as 4 defense provides a greater survivability boost than 5 max health.
- A Lifeforce Potion can be used to temporarily increase health capacity even beyond 500, to a maximum of 600.
- In order to obtain maximum health, 20 Life Fruit are required. Unlike Life Crystals, Life Fruit have no further use after that, beside being sold for 2 GC each, or being turned into an Aegis Fruit(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) via Shimmer Transmutation.
- Farms can be made by making long platforms of Jungle grass underground. Jungle grass spreads with Jungle Grass Seeds.
- Fairies(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) can often lead the player to Life Fruit.
- If the player has explored a large area of the Underground Jungle before defeating a mechanical boss, they can use the Metal Detector in conjunction with the map to find Life Fruit very effectively.
- Before defeating all three mechanical bosses, a quick and easy way to find Life Fruit is to use the Clentaminator with Dark Blue Solution specifically, as this will break the Life fruit and leave them on the ground, and illuminated by the glowing mushroom for the player to see. After the player is done gathering, the biome may be easily switched back to the jungle via Green Solution. However, this method becomes much more dangerous after Plantera's Bulbs begin to spawn, because the conversion will break them and summon Plantera.
- The plants on which the fruit grows have three different possible sprites. They are all functionally identical.
- The small golden heart on the Life Fruit represents the golden heart obtained when a fruit is consumed.
- Console 1.0.750.0: ()
- Sprite updated to match Desktop 1.3.1.
- At least one of the mechanical bosses must be defeated for Life Fruit to generate now.
- Life Fruit can spawn closer together now.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, method
Terraria.WorldGen.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 18.104.22.168.