|Debuff tooltip||Losing life|
The Clinger Staff is a Hardmode magic weapon that has a
20*1/5 (20%) chance to be dropped by a Corrupt Mimic. It generates a 15-tiles high wall of Cursed Flame, which deals damage and inflicts the Cursed Inferno debuff to any enemy that walks through it. The point at which the wall is generated must be in a direct line of sight; otherwise, the wall will not generate, though still consume mana. The Clinger Staff's wall lasts for about 5 minutes. Only one wall may be generated at a time; if another is summoned, the first one will vanish.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but the only stats that improve damage output are damage and critical chance. Switching to a different magic weapon causes existing projectiles to use that weapon's critical chance instead, meaning that the Clinger Staff's DPS is optimized with the Ruthless modifier when used in the intended way.
- Due to its high knockback, this weapon is excellent at keeping enemies away from the player.
- The Clinger Staff excels at killing worms, even despite the reduced damage, as multiple segments can be hit by the wall.
- This weapon can be useful while in the Dungeon for keeping enemies away due to its narrow passageways.
- This weapon is useful during the Old One's Army event, as many enemies cannot pass through due to its high knockback.
- Since the critical strike chance of a projectile is not based on the weapon that fired it but rather the one the player is currently holding, this weapon pairs very well with magic weapons with a higher base critical strike chance than usual, most notably Sky Fracture, Stellar Tune, and Staff of Earth.
- The Clinger Staff can be seen as an alternative to the Nimbus Rod, as both weapons summon a vertical "wall" that damages enemies. However, the Clinger Staff is less effective against flying bosses such as Skeletron Prime, as the height of its wall is limited.
- Despite its name and appearance, the staff is not dropped by Clingers.
- This weapon has the highest mana usage of all magic weapons in a single use.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Wall duration increased to 5 minutes.
- Now uses static frames, so immune frames will no longer interfere with non-Clinger Staff sources of damage.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Height of the Cursed Flames increased by 50%.
- No longer has a hit limit.
- Can now inflict the Cursed Inferno debuff.
- Can now inflict critical hits.
- Now only deals half damage to worms.
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, method