|AI Type||King Slime AI|
|Coins||1 GC2 GC50 SC|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- 100% (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- Slimy Saddle(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)25%
- Slime Hook(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)33.33%
- Slime Gun(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)66.67%
- Lesser Healing Potion (5-15)100%
- Treasure Bag(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)(King Slime)
- Royal Gel(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)100%
- Slimy Saddle(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)50%
- Slime Gun(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)50%
- Slime Hook(Desktop, Console, Old-gen console and Mobile versions)50%
- Royal Delight(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- King Slime Relic(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions)
- Internal NPC ID: 50
King Slime is a pre-Hardmode boss. His appearance is that of a massive Blue Slime wearing a jeweled golden crown and having what appears to be a ninja inside of him. He lacks the crown on the Old-gen console and versions of the game. As King Slime takes damage, he spawns additional ordinary Blue Slimes (and Spiked Slimes(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) in Expert and Master Mode) and will also appear to shrink in size.
King Slime spawns under one of the following conditions:
- A player uses a Slime Crown.
- (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) 150 slimes are defeated during the Slime Rain event (or 75 if King Slime was already slain in the world at least once).
- Rarely in the outer lateral sixths of the map, during daytime, and only on grass.
Fighting King Slime is not required for game progression, but his defeat may reward the player with useful items. Defeating him for the first time also causes the Nerdy Slime(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) town pet to spawn from the boss.
King Slime can be summoned manually anywhere and at any time using the Slime Crown.
King Slime has a very rare chance of spawning naturally if the following conditions are met:
- The player is located in one of the outer lateral sixths of the map (the far left or far right).
- The depth at its potential spawn point is above zero.
- It is daytime.
- There must be standard, green grass at its potential spawn point (off-screen; see NPC spawning)
If 150 slimes are killed by players, traps, and/or summoned minions during the Slime Rain event, King Slime will spawn. Slimes killed by lava do not count towards the total unless the player deals damage to them first. Defeating the boss will end the event shortly after – if all players die (even on single player), the boss will despawn and the event will continue for some time before ending on its own (between 9 and 15 in-game hours). If King Slime has already been defeated in a world, it will only take 75 slime kills to spawn him. If King Slime is summoned manually with the Slime Crown and then subsequently killed, while the Slime Rain is active, the event will end in the same way as if the player killed the King Slime that naturally spawns at the end of the event. This can be quite helpful for powerful players who want to get the Slime Rain event over with as quickly as possible.
Don't dig up
In Don't dig up worlds, killing a slime has a 1/200 (0.5%) chance of spawning King Slime, provided the boss has not yet been defeated, and at least one player has more than 140 maximum health and more than 8 defense. Only the death of certain types of slime can trigger this: Blue Slime, Green Slime, Pinky, Baby Slime, Black Slime, Purple Slime, Red Slime, Yellow Slime, and Jungle Slime. Slimes killed without the player dealing damage to them will not spawn King Slime.
- Although being a large and resilient enemy, in addition to boss music playing during the fight, a map icon, and a boss health bar appearing, King Slime is often regarded as a "side-boss" or "mini-boss" (though there is no official word on this from the developers). It differs from traditional bosses in the following ways:
- (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) King Slime can be encountered regardless of the current level of game advancement.
- Besides Lepus(3DS version), he is the only boss who takes damage from lava.
- (Old-gen console and 3DS versions) King Slime does not travel or fire through blocks, which creates shielding or trapping possibilities that do not exist when battling most other bosses (though traveling too far from a trapped King Slime can cause him to teleport out).
- He can spawn at random in a certain area of the world, which is similar to the spawning of regular enemies, rather than bosses.
- On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, King Slime will teleport upon the player if he is unable to reach them. This can be performed from any distance and prevents easily trapping the boss within a small area.
- King Slime's absolute highest jump can clear a 17-block-high wall.
- In Expert Mode(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), King Slime summons Spiked Slimes along with normal slimes as he loses health. These are not affected by the Royal Gel (unlike the other, normal Blue Slimes spawned).
- King Slime can spawn inside of blocks, making him unable to move unless through teleporting.
- It is possible for King Slime to teleport to the player after they died fighting in the outer layers of the world.
- Piercing weapons can not only damage King Slime, but also kill the additional slimes it spawns.
- The Blue Slimes that are spawned during the fight can drop Hearts and Stars, which respectively restore 20 health and 100 mana.
- Due to the high number of Blue Slimes spawned during the fight, summoning King Slime while in specific areas can be a quick, easy way to farm for specific drops. Examples include (Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) Biome Keys or Biome Key Molds(Old-gen console and 3DS versions), Pirate Maps, Halloween and Christmas drops, or the Cascade(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), Hel-Fire(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), Amarok(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), Yelets(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), and Kraken(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) yoyos. Before 220.127.116.11(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), they can also drop souls.
- King Slime himself does not drop any Gel, but the Blue Slimes he spawns do. This makes fighting him a good way to farm Gel, e.g. for Flamethrower ammo or Asphalt Blocks.
- Killing King Slime on Expert Mode and selling all drops gives 10 GC on average.
- When King Slime teleports, he can become stuck inside the blocks around him, preventing his movement for a while.
- It seems that the source of the Ninja armor is from the ninja inside King Slime.
- Assuming that the player is 5′ 9″ (1.75 m) in terms of height, King Slime would be about 11′ (3.35 m) tall and 11′ 8½″ (3.57 m) wide.
- According to Redigit, the trapped ninja is the Guide's brother, and he was consumed by King Slime as a result of losing the fight against the boss. This statement was most likely a joke and is not considered official lore.
- In the Old-gen console and versions, he is the only boss to drop a banner.
- The trophy dropped by King Slime seems to be a Ninjatō covered in slime, a common weapon that ninjas are usually shown to carry. This may be because King Slime drops the Ninja armor.
- The images for the ninja inside the King Slime and the crown are stored in separate image files. The King Slime's sprite without them looks similar to a massive Blue Slime.
- The sprite from 1.1 did not have the crown or the ninja.
- Both sprites can be found as
- Despite sometimes being considered the easiest boss in the game, he does the second highest damage of any pre-Hardmode boss, only beaten by the Wall of Flesh in Classic Mode or Skeletron in Expert Mode(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions).
- King Slime is one of the only bosses capable of spawning randomly even after he has already been defeated in the world, the other being Deerclops.
- King Slime makes an appearance in a crossover event with Core Keeper as an optional boss of the same name.
- When teleporting, King Slime drops his current crown and seemingly generates a new one upon completing the teleport.
- The Spiked Slime, Pirate's Curse(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), Jungle Mimic(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions), and Golden Slime(Desktop, Console and Mobile versions) are the only non-invincible enemies in the game without a Bestiary entry, and King Slime is the only boss whose summoned enemies do not have one.
- The Bestiary entry for King Slime: "Slimes normally aren't intelligent, but occasionally they merge together to become a powerful force to swallow all things."
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Now takes up more enemy slots, reducing or outright eliminating additional enemy spawns during his fight (not including Blue Slime minions). This does not impact Slime Rain spawns.
- Defeating King Slime for the first time will now spawn the Nerdy Slime.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Fixed an NPC smoothing issue.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Desktop 1.3.5: Ninja sprite updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 1.0.5:
- Now floats in liquids and doesn't make a splash sound when hitting water.
- Only one King Slime may spawn at a time now.
- Desktop 1.0.4: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
- Information taken from the Desktop 188.8.131.52 source code, method
Terraria.GameContent.ItemDropRules.ItemDropDatabase.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 184.108.40.206.
- Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11.1 source code, method
Terraria.NPC.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 18.104.22.168.
- Information taken from the Desktop 22.214.171.124 source code, method
- I'll take new lore for 200 Alex : Terraria May 14, 2020
- Terraria's 10th Anniversary: We are Re-Logic, Ask Us Anything! May 17, 2021
- Never take anything I say about lore seriously XD (Redigit) July 24, 2022
- The only concrete lore is what you see in the game. The rest is up for the player to interpret how they wish. (Redigit) July 24, 2022