Animation of the Beam Sword.
The Beam Sword is a rare Hardmode sword which occasionally fires a gold-colored Sword Beam projectile when swung. It costs no ammunition or mana, emits a small amount of light, deals the same damage as the sword, is not affected by gravity, and dissipates upon hitting an enemy or solid block. The Beam Sword has a
0.67*1/150 (0.67%) chance of being dropped by Armored Skeletons.
Its best modifier is Legendary.
- The Sword Beam projectile has a cooldown of 0.58 seconds / 1 second.
- The Sword Beam cannot penetrate blocks or enemies. This allows it to ignore any piercing invincibility frames that enemies gain from being hit by the sword.
- Melee speed will affect the speed of the Sword Beam. Its cooldown will remain unchanged, however.
- Unlike most other projectile melee weapons, the Beam Sword lacks autoswing. The Frostbrand, an alternative to the Beam Sword, has autoswing and can pierce one enemy with its projectile, but its damage and swing speed are lower.
- The Beam Sword can hit an enemy twice in a single swing, once with the sword itself and another with the beam, doing double damage while doing so.
- The Beam Sword's name is based off a common video game trope of heroic swordsmen having the ability to generate an energy projectile from their weapon, granting them an option for engaging enemies outside of their sword's range. The Beam Sword generates a sword beam that shares a resemblance to those generated by Link, the protagonist of the fantasy action-adventure video game series The Legend of Zelda, when at full health.
- The Beam Sword is very similar to the Enchanted Sword, in appearance and in effect.
- Though it is statistically a direct upgrade to the Enchanted Sword, it does not autoswing.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Projectile cooldown reduced from 60 frames to 35 frames.
- No longer uses the mana chirp system to indicate projectile is ready to fire.
- Is now autoswing.
- No longer uses useTurn nor forces you to turn to face the direction the projectile is being fired in while swinging.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Use time increased from 15 to 20. Projectile cooldown unaffected.