- Wand of Sparking
- Wand of Frosting
- Gray Zapinator
- Aqua Scepter
- Thunder Zapper
- Space Gun
- Ice Rod
- Golden Shower
- Demon Scythe
- Laser Rifle
- Magic Dagger
- Orange Zapinator
- Sky Fracture
- Shadowflame Hex Doll
- Crystal Serpent
- Leaf Blower
- Frost Staff
- Poison Staff
- Heat Ray
- Venom Staff
- Unholy Trident
- Bubble Gun
- Laser Machinegun
- Charged Blaster Cannon
- Last Prism
- Betsy's Wrath
|Knockback||0.3 (Extremely weak)|
|Use time||30 (Average)|
|Velocity||21 (not affected by ammo)|
|Tooltip||Uses gel for ammo|
Ignores 15 points of enemy Defense
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
- Internal Item ID: 506
- Internal Buff ID: 323 , 24
- Internal Projectile ID: 85
The Flamethrower is a Hardmode ranged weapon that uses Gel for ammunition. Every press of the ⚒ Use / Attack button consumes one Gel and generates five bursts of fire in quick succession that can be spread over an area by moving the mouse while firing. With some modifiers that increase firing speed (e.g. Unreal and Rapid), each attack consumes two Gel and fires six bursts.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, the Flamethrower's fire bursts have unique graphics, and fly out of the weapon at a high velocity while expanding with time, before disappearing a short distance ahead of the player, creating a cone-like area of effect. The fire has 15 armor penetration, inflicts the Hellfire debuff for 20 seconds, and can pierce through three enemies before dissipating upon hitting a fourth. Additionally, the projectile's damage decreases by 15% for each enemy it pierces.
On the Old-gen console version and Nintendo version, the flamethrower's bursts are straight lines of fire particles, which travel out from the weapon to a short distance ahead of the player before stopping, lingering briefly. The fire inflicts the On Fire! debuff for 20 seconds, and can pierce through three enemies before dissipating upon hitting a fourth.
Its best modifier is Unreal.
total: 1 row(s)
- Water, honey, and Shimmer stop the Flamethrower's projectiles, although it will hit enemies just under the liquid's surface, and it will not fire at all while underwater. The Flamethrower will fire into lava, but will not fire from within lava.
- If shot at a 1-block thick floor from below, enemies walking on top will take damage.
- As it requires Souls of Fright to craft, it is unavailable until defeating Skeletron Prime.
- Pink Gel cannot be used as ammo, and therefore cannot be used with the Flamethrower.
- The Flamethrower is a great weapon for crowd control, being very effective against the Old One's Army or the Pirate Invasion.
- It is exceptional for fighting worms, because it can hit multiple segments at once.
- Although five to six shots can be fired per press, six shots fired at the same enemies are likely to only cause three hits on each enemy, which should be kept in mind so as not to waste Gel.
- When paired up with Frost armor, this weapon can inflict Hellfire / On Fire! and Frostbite / Frostburn at the same time. This is signified by orange and blue flames coming from the Flamethrower.
- A Flamethrower with the Slow modifier may actually be better, as it does not consume as much Gel but has around the same DPS.
- One could make a Gel farm using Slime Statues to easily stockpile ammunition. Gastropods are another abundant source.
- If one cannot find any Slime Statues, the Slime Rain event and King Slime fight are convenient ways to quickly gather large amounts of Gel for use with the Flamethrower.
- It can be helpful when fighting enemies that move quickly.
- It is completely useless against enemies underwater.
- Its piercing effect can be effective against the The Destroyer. However, the boss is immune to the On Fire! debuff.
- Elf Melter, an indirect upgrade dropped by Santa-NK1 during the Frost Moon event.
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Now uses local immunity frames on its projectiles.
- Now has 15 armor penetration.
- Reworked visuals and hitbox size.
- Now inflicts Hellfire instead of On Fire!.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Damage increased from 27 to 35.
- Applies a 15% damage penalty to the next hit for each enemy a projectile pierces.
- Desktop 1.3.1: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Flamethrower projectiles are no longer considered magic.
- Desktop 1.2: Recipe no longer requires Copper Bars or Cursed Flames.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.