- Wand of Sparking
- Wand of Frosting
- Gray Zapinator
- Aqua Scepter
- Thunder Zapper
- Space Gun
- Ice Rod
- Golden Shower
- Demon Scythe
- Laser Rifle
- Magic Dagger
- Orange Zapinator
- Sky Fracture
- Shadowflame Hex Doll
- Crystal Serpent
- Leaf Blower
- Frost Staff
- Poison Staff
- Heat Ray
- Venom Staff
- Unholy Trident
- Bubble Gun
- Laser Machinegun
- Charged Blaster Cannon
- Last Prism
- Betsy's Wrath
|Damage||185 / 128 (Ranged)|
|Knockback||8 (Very strong)|
|Critical chance||29% / 19%|
|Use time||36 (Very slow) /|
49 (Extremely slow)
|Tooltip||Shoots a powerful, high velocity bullet|
Right click to zoom out
- Internal Item ID: 1254
The Sniper Rifle is a Hardmode, post-Plantera ranged weapon that fires a bullet with extremely high damage and velocity, though at a far slower rate of fire than most ranged weapons, and cannot auto-fire (except on the Mobile version). It also has a "zoom" ability. The Sniper Rifle has a
8.33*1/12 (8.33%) / 15.97*23/144 (15.97%) chance to be dropped by Skeleton Snipers, who most commonly spawn in Dungeon areas with Slab Walls during Hardmode after Plantera has been defeated.
The Sniper Rifle's "zoom" ability is functionally identical to that of the Binoculars and the Rifle Scope and its upgrades. It allows the screen to scroll temporarily in the direction of the cursor, essentially extending the viewing range in one direction.
Zoom is activated via one of the following methods:
- Desktop version: Hold the right-click button.
- Console version: Hold the right stick.
- Mobile version: Tap-hold.
- Nintendo version: Move the C-Stick ( users only).
The Sniper Rifle has a base 29% / 19% critical strike chance, as opposed to the usual 4%. It is one of the few weapons lacking auto-fire on the Nintendo version.
Its best modifier is Unreal.
- The Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, or Recon Scope can stack with the Sniper Rifle's zoom ability to increase zoom, though only slightly. The exact increase depends on the player's game screen resolution. For example, at 800×600, view is increased by 3 tiles; at 1680×1050 by 7 tiles; at 1920×1080 by 15 tiles.
- Musket Balls and Silver/Tungsten Bullets fired from this weapon gain the piercing capabilities and visual effects (but not damage) of High Velocity Bullets. All other ammo types retain their usual behavior and appearance.
- Zooming will update the Minimap (the same holds true for the Rifle Scope, Sniper Scope, Recon Scope, and Binoculars).
- Holding the Sniper Rifle, Binoculars, or any weapon that supports zooming when a Rifle Scope is equipped will change the range at which enemies spawn around the player.
- On the Nintendo version, the scope glitches the player's sights and makes nearby entities vibrate rapidly.
- The Sniper Rifle pairs especially well with the following bullet types:
- Chlorophyte Bullets, as their homing ability allows easy hits, which is particularly useful with the Sniper Rifle's slow rate of fire.
- Crystal Bullets, as the shards produced can potentially hit multiple targets, and their vastly increased base damage allows them to contribute more significantly to damage output and not be hampered nearly as much by defense.
- Musket Balls (and the Endless Musket Pouch), as they are easy to obtain. Even though they deal less damage than other bullets, this damage loss is often negligible considering the already high base damage of Sniper Rifle. The piercing ability of converted bullets also significantly increases the Sniper Rifle's DPS, allowing for excellent crowd control on flat arenas.
- The Sniper Rifle's main strengths – damage and critical chance – are boosted even further when utilizing the stealth effect of Vortex armor or Shroomite armor, enabling most non-boss enemies to be killed in one shot.
- The Sniper Rifle is useful against enemies that teleport when hit, like Diabolists, Necromancers, and Nebula Floaters, due to the high one-shot damage that usually kills them instantly.
- Nebula Floaters usually take more shots, but they are generally fought in open areas. Chlorophyte Bullets are invaluable in this case.
- It is possible to achieve over 100% critical strike chance with the following setup:
- Vortex armor in stealth mode – 47%
- Unreal modifier and base critical strike chance – 34%
- Sniper Scope – 10%
- Destroyer Emblem – 8%
- Celestial Shell – 2%
- Additionally, utilizing the damage bonus of a banner, it is possible to deal a devastating 2280 damage to an enemy in one hit.
- It is also possible to attain more than 600 base damage and even 700 in Master Mode (due to the extra possible accessory slots) with the following setup:
- Vortex armor with stealth mode on
- Menacing Destroyer Emblem
- Menacing Avenger Emblem
- Menacing Sniper Scope
- Menacing Ranger Emblem
- Menacing Recon Scope
- Menacing Celestial Shell
- Menacing Putrid Scent
- Various other Menacing items.
- Wrath Potion and Well Fed can raise this number even farther.
- Utilizing all of the above and a banner, it is possible to deal 3513 to an enemy in one hit.
- The Sniper Rifle has a surprisingly low sell value for its power and rarity, making potential reforge costs lower.
- The weapon is devastating in PvP situations, as it capable of one-shotting even endgame players with the correct setup and careful aim.
- The Sniper Rifle has the highest base critical strike chance of any weapon in the game, beating the Obsidian Swordfish by 5%. It is also tied with the Revolver for highest ranged velocity. While it additionally has one of the highest base damages in the game, it is still beaten by the Zenith, Meowmere, Terrarian, Bunny Cannon, Dynamite, Explosives, and the Holy Hand Grenade. As a ranged weapon however, it is mostly unparalleled.
- It can be considered a post-Plantera upgrade of the Dart Rifle on Desktop, Console, and Mobile, and a Hardmode upgrade of the Musket on Old-gen console and .
- The Sniper Rifle, Uzi, and Venus Magnum all share a tooltip.
- A Coin Gun using Platinum Coins has the same damage per shot, but it fires 5 times faster, making its effective DPS five times higher than that of the Sniper Rifle.
- However, this is an extremely expensive strategy and is only really viable in Journey Mode worlds, where Platinum Coins can be duplicated.
- The Sniper Rifle is one of the 11 guns in Terraria based on a real gun, the others being the Chain Gun, Flintlock Pistol, Handgun, Musket, Quad-Barrel Shotgun, Red Ryder, Revolver, Shotgun, Tactical Shotgun, and Uzi.
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Sprite updated.
- Reduced sound volume.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Increased damage from 128 to 185.
- Critical chance increased from 19% to 29%.
- Reduced use time from 49 to 35.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now correctly drops from Skeleton Snipers.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced, but unobtainable.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.