The Shotgun is a Hardmode gun that fires a spread of three to five bullets, but consumes only one item of ammo. It can be purchased from the Arms Dealer for 25 once the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.
It is an upgrade of the pre-Hardmode Boomstick. The Onyx Blaster and the Tactical Shotgun are upgrades of the Shotgun.
Its best modifier is Unreal.
- Due to the mechanics of piercing damage, piercing bullets (such as Meteor Shot) will only hit enemies one time, even if all bullets connect. The remaining rounds can still rebound on objects behind the target (having not caused damage) and hit the target a second time.
- Using the Shotgun with Crystal Bullets is effective against large groups.
- Exploding Bullets can be an alternative for their area damage, although care should be taken not to hurt oneself. The combined knockback of the ammunition and weapon can be effective for holding off enemies in early Hardmode.
- In PvP, Crystal Bullets are not as effective, because players become momentarily invulnerable when damaged, so the shards will not have any effect. Instead, Cursed Bullets are more useful in this context, as they have a higher damage and inflict the Cursed Inferno debuff.
- The Shotgun is effective at short ranges, but rapidly loses effectiveness at longer ranges since the shots spread out the farther they travel. This inaccuracy can be negated by using Chlorophyte Bullets, however.
- It is useful for defeating segmented enemies, such as Wyverns, as well as flying enemies with large hitboxes, such as Corruptors.
- The Shotgun is modeled after the real-life shotgun Ithaca 37.
- The Shotgun is one of the 11 guns in Terraria based on a real gun, the others being the Chain Gun, Flintlock Pistol, Handgun, Musket, Quad-Barrel Shotgun, Red Ryder, Revolver, Sniper Rifle, Tactical Shotgun, and Uzi.
- Desktop 1.2: Buy/sell price reduced from 70 / 14 to 25 / 5.