Giant Flying Fox
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Giant Flying FoxHardmode exclusive
|AI Type||Bat AI|
|Banner||Giant Flying Fox Banner|
|Debuff tooltip||Increased damage, Decreased life regen, Causes status effects|
The Giant Flying Fox is a Hardmode enemy that spawns only in the surface of the Jungle at night, in addition to the common Jungle Bats and in place of the Derplings that spawn during the day. Giant Flying Foxes can deal significant damage to a player and without any knockback resistance, can push players down jungle caves. They prove a threat to early Hardmode characters.
- In real life, a Flying Fox is any of several species in the family Pteropodidae, which are otherwise known as fruit bats. These are the largest bats in the world, found mainly in the tropical regions of Asia, Africa, and Oceania. Thus, it makes sense for this to be the largest in-game bat. The real-world versions are docile fruit eaters that are harmless to humans, though they sometimes come into conflict with fruit farmers. However, flying foxes actually cause fairly insignificant loss to crop yields. Flying foxes are important seed dispersers and pollinators in their ecosystems. The fact that it drops Grapes might be inspired by this.
- The Giant Flying Fox dropping Grapes is likely a reference to the fable of "The Fox and the Grapes", in which a fox attempts to reach some Grapes on a vine, but ultimately decides that they are undesirable.
- The Bestiary entry for the Giant Flying Fox: "An oversized cousin of the bat found only in the Jungle, giant flying foxes hunt the night skies looking for prey."
- Desktop 1.4.3: Now drops the Bat Bat.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Fixed its Bestiary background.
- Desktop 18.104.22.168: Can now drop Grapes.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 22.214.171.124:
- Can now drop its own respective banner.
- Can inflict Feral Bite in Expert Mode.
- Desktop 1.2: Introduced.
- Console 1.02: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 1.2.6508: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.