Ghouls are Hardmode Underground Desert enemies who follow the Fighter AI (behaving similarly to Zombies). Ordinary Ghouls spawn inside the normal Underground Desert, the Vile Ghoul inside Corrupt parts of the Underground Desert, the Tainted Ghoul inside Crimson parts of the Underground Desert, and the Dreamer Ghoul inside Hallowed parts of the Underground Desert.
- Item (Quantity)Rate
Vile GhoulHardmode exclusive
Tainted GhoulHardmode exclusive
|Debuff tooltip||Reduced defense|
|Duration||7 seconds14 seconds|
Dreamer GhoulHardmode exclusive
- The Hallow and Corruption/Crimson variants inflict debuffs which can make exploring the Underground Desert dangerous even with pre-Plantera equipment, but can be easily avoided if approaching the enemy with care.
- While a ghoul is a common enemy in many games, it is fitting that the Terraria version appears in Desert biomes. The ghoul's origin can be traced back to Arabic stories of monsters that feed on the flesh of desert travelers and desecrate the tombs of the buried.
- It appears that the Corruption/Crimson and Hallowed versions have a liquid dripping down their chin while the normal version does not.
- This is confirmed by their Bestiary entries.
- Oddly enough, the Ghouls are not immune to the debuffs they inflict, except the Dreamer Ghoul.
- Ghoul: "Wandering the dark caverns below the desert dunes, ghouls are the dessicated husks of zombies preserved by the arid environment."
- Vile Ghoul: "Ghouls twisted by the Corruption ooze a nasty green bile that ignites on contact with skin, scorching their prey with cursed flames."
- Tainted Ghoul: "Ghouls infested by the Crimson leak vile ichor from their mouths, weakening the defenses of their foes with every bite."
- Dreamer Ghoul: "Ghouls cleansed by the Hallow possess a psychedelic saliva that renders their victims confused and distracted by visions and mirages."