|AI Type||Sand Elemental AI|
6088132 (Ancient Storm)
|KB Resist||95%/96% (when >50% health)|
100% (when ≤50% health)
|Banner||Sand Elemental Banner|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Internal NPC ID: 541
The Sand Elemental is a rare Hardmode enemy which spawns in the Desert during a Sandstorm. She is guaranteed to drop a Forbidden Fragment, the main ingredient for the Forbidden armor as well as the Spirit Flame.
The Sand Elemental attacks by summoning three Ancient Storms randomly around the general location of the player. The distance between them varies, and they remain stationary for their lifespan. The Sand Elemental cannot travel through blocks, and flies in a non-linear pattern. She attempts to move towards the player and gets faster as her health depletes.
She is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades. The Sand Elemental requires 25 kills to be awarded completion of her Bestiary entry and corresponding banner, as opposed to the usual 50 kills.
- The Ancient Storms cannot pass through blocks. Standing underneath a platform of solid blocks will make the Sand Elemental unable to hit the player with Ancient Storms.
- Using the Rod of Discord to teleport to the other side of the Ancient Storms may be useful; however, it inflicts the Chaos State debuff after use, so the player should be careful with how often they use it.
- The Sand Elemental deals much more damage with her Ancient Storms than by contact, which can be exploited to avoid most of her damage through invincibility frames.
- It might be preferable to lure the Sand Elemental out of the Desert biome to avoid the other powerful enemies that spawn during a Sandstorm, like Dune Splicers and Sand Sharks.
- Alternatively, a mount that offers infinite flight could be used to avoid these enemies. In Master Mode, the Pirate Ship Mount can be obtained from the Pirate Invasion before fighting any major Hardmode bosses.
- Elementals are magical entities who embody or personify a force of nature. Historically, elementals personify one of the four Classical elements: earth, water, air or fire (sometimes plant, but never Aether). In the fantasy role-playing game Dungeon & Dragons, elementals which are fusions and other unconventional elementals have been introduced.
- The Sand Elemental is the only Hardmode surface Desert enemy that has no Corruption, Crimson, nor Hallow variations.
- Similar to the Dreadnautilus and the Ice Golem, the Sand Elemental is not a boss or mini-boss even though she has stats comparable to a boss. This is evidenced by her lack of a boss health bar, the fact that she drops a banner, not a trophy, and the fact that she does not drop a relic in Master Mode.
- The Bestiary entry for the Sand Elemental: "The most intense sandstorms draw forth powerful earth elementals. With this feminine form, her tornadoes tear all asunder."
- Desktop 1.3.3: Introduced.
- Console 1.17: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.1096.2: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168.0: Introduced.