|AI Type||Lunatic Cultist AI|
3672 (Shadow Fireball)
70100 (Ice Mist)
90120 (Lightning Orb)
120160 (Ancient Light)
304567 (Ancient Doom)
60180402 (Prophecy's End)
|Defense||42 / 27 (≤50% health)|
|Immune to||All debuffs except Whip debuffs|
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Greater Healing Potion (5–15)100%
|Spawn Phantasm Dragon|
The Lunatic Cultist is a Hardmode, post-Golem boss summoned by killing the Cultists that spawn at the Dungeon's entrance after Golem is defeated. Defeating the Lunatic Cultist initiates the Lunar Events.
After all four Celestial Pillars have been destroyed, the Moon Lord will spawn and the Cultists will respawn at the Dungeon entrance, allowing the player to fight the Lunatic Cultist and initiate the Lunar Events again.
The Lunatic Cultist makes its first brief appearance at the Mysterious Tablet as soon as the Cultists are defeated. It is invulnerable at this time. It then warps to just above where the player was when the teleport started, and cycles between three attacks:
- A burst of three / four Fireballs that lightly home in on the player, exploding on impact
- A ball of Ice Mist that fires ice shards in six directions four times over as it flies in one direction before slowly fading away
- A Lightning Orb that fires five bolts of lightning at the player
When the Lunatic Cultist reaches half health, it will occasionally replace an attack with two spreads of five destructible Ancient Light projectiles.
The Lunatic Cultist cycles through five attacks (six when below half health) before proceeding to start a ritual. It will spawn phantom decoys of itself called Ancient Cultists, along with a large, circular rune. Unless the one true Lunatic Cultist is interrupted by an attack from a player during this ritual, the decoys fly in formation and add their homing Shadow Fireball attacks.
Attacking a decoy or taking too long hitting the real Lunatic Cultist results in the summoning of the Wyvern-like Phantasm Dragon. If there is already a Phantasm Dragon existing, attacking a decoy will summon an Ancient Vision, which will charge the player diagonally. Decoys can be eliminated by hitting the true Lunatic Cultist during the ritual, but if not, large quantities of decoys can amass.
Homing projectile resistance
The Lunatic Cultist will only take 75% of the damage from homing projectiles. The following are lists of homing projectiles that deal reduced damage to the Lunatic Cultist:
|16||Magic Missile||Magic Missile|
|181||Bee||Bee Gun, Bee Keeper|
|182||Possessed Hatchet||Possessed Hatchet|
|190||Mechanical Piranha||Piranha Gun|
|195||Pygmy Spear||Pygmy Staff|
|207||Chlorophyte Bullet||Chlorophyte Bullet|
|221||Flower Petal||Orichalcum armor set bonus|
|225||Chlorophyte Arrow||Chlorophyte Arrow|
|227||Crystal Leaf Shot||Chlorophyte armor set bonus|
|248||Flower Pow Petal||Flower Pow|
|255||Magnet Sphere Bolt||Magnet Sphere|
|266||Baby Slime||Slime Staff|
|285||Nano Bullet||Nano Bullet|
|297||Lost Soul (friendly)||Spectre Staff|
|307||Tiny Eater||Scourge of the Corruptor|
|309||Frost Blast (friendly)||Frost Hydra|
|321||Flaming Jack||The Horseman's Blade|
|338||Snowman Rocket I||Snowman Cannon using Rocket Is|
|339||Snowman Rocket II||Snowman Cannon using Rocket IIs|
|340||Snowman Rocket III||Snowman Cannon using Rocket IIIs|
|341||Snowman Rocket IV||Snowman Cannon using Rocket IVs|
|356||Spectre Wrath||Spectre armor set bonus (with Spectre Mask)|
|374||Hornet Stinger||Hornet (minion)|
|376||Imp Fireball||Flying Imp (minion)|
|378||Spider Egg||Spider Turret|
|379||Baby Spider||Spider Turret|
|389||Mini Retina Laser||Retanimini|
|390||Venom Spider||Spider Staff|
|391||Jumper Spider||Spider Staff|
|392||Dangerous Spider||Spider Staff|
|393||One Eyed Pirate||Pirate Staff|
|394||Soulscourge Pirate||Pirate Staff|
|395||Pirate Captain||Pirate Staff|
|433||UFO Ray||UFO (minion)|
|477||Crystal Dart||Crystal Dart|
|535||Medusa Ray||Medusa Head|
|536||Medusa Head Ray||Medusa Head|
|566||Giant Bee||Hive Pack|
|567||Spore Trap||Spore Sac|
|568||Spore Trap 2||Spore Sac|
|569||Spore Gas||Spore Sac|
|570||Spore Gas 2||Spore Sac|
|571||Spore Gas 3||Spore Sac|
|606||Scutlix Laser||Scutlix Mount|
|613||Stardust Cell||Stardust Cell Staff|
|614||Stardust Cell Shot||Stardust Cell|
|616||Vortex Rocket||Vortex Beater|
|617||Nebula Arcanum||Nebula Arcanum|
|618||Nebula Arcanum Subshot||Nebula Arcanum|
|619||Nebula Arcanum Explosion Shot||Nebula Arcanum|
|620||Nebula Arcanum Explosion Shot Shard||Nebula Arcanum|
|625||Stardust Dragon 1||Stardust Dragon Staff|
|626||Stardust Dragon 2||Stardust Dragon Staff|
|627||Stardust Dragon 3||Stardust Dragon Staff|
|628||Stardust Dragon 4||Stardust Dragon Staff|
|634||Nebula Blaze||Nebula Blaze|
|635||Nebula Blaze Ex||Nebula Blaze|
|640||Luminite Arrow Trail||Luminite Arrows|
|642||Lunar Portal Laser||Lunar Portal|
|644||Rainbow Explosion||Rainbow Crystal|
|659||Spirit Flame||Spirit Flame|
|664||Flameburst Tower Shot (tier 1)||Flameburst Rod|
|666||Flameburst Tower Shot (tier 2)||Flameburst Cane|
|668||Flameburst Tower Shot (tier 3)||Flameburst Staff|
|680||Ballista Shot||Ballista Rod, Ballista Cane, Ballista Staff|
|755||Sanguine Bat||Sanguine Staff|
|758||Vampire Frog||Vampire Frog Staff|
|803||Cluster Rocket I||Snowman Cannon using Cluster Rocket I's|
|804||Cluster Rocket II||Snowman Cannon using Cluster Rocket II's|
|805||Wet Rocket||Snowman Cannon using Wet Rockets|
|806||Lava Rocket||Snowman Cannon using Lava Rockets|
|807||Honey Rocket||Snowman Cannon using Honey Rockets|
|808||Mini Nuke Rocket I||Snowman Cannon using Mini Nuke I's|
|809||Mini Nuke Rocket II||Snowman Cannon using Mini Nuke II's|
|810||Dry Rocket||Snowman Cannon using Dry Rockets|
|832||Desert Tiger||Desert Tiger|
|833||Desert Tiger (tier 1)||Desert Tiger Staff used 1-3 times|
|834||Desert Tiger (tier 2)||Desert Tiger Staff used 4-6 times|
|835||Desert Tiger (tier 3)||Desert Tiger Staff used 7+ times|
|837||Skull||Book of Skulls|
|856||Stellar Tune||Stellar Tune|
|864||Enchanted Dagger||Blade Staff|
|917||Cool Flake||Cool Whip|
|930||Santank Rocket||Santank Mount|
|937||Volatile Gelatin||Volatile Gelatin|
|967||Houndius Shootius Fireball||Houndius Shootius|
- The Lunatic Cultist locks on to every player, so if one player is too far from it (e.g. uses a Magic Mirror), it will despawn.
- If the player loses against the Lunatic Cultist or it despawns, the Lunatic Devotees and Cultist Archers at the Dungeon will respawn after one in-game day passes.
- The Cultists will not spawn if Skeletron has not yet been defeated in the current world, since the Old Man takes spawn priority over the Cultists.
- Most homing projectiles and minions will not target the real Lunatic Cultist during its ritual, although minions that deal contact damage may accidentally damage them. Some exceptions include the Flaming Jack projectiles from The Horseman's Blade and the Spectre Mask's damaging orbs, which will still target the real Lunatic Cultist.
- It can only have 6 decoys active at the same time.
- By using a Magic Mirror, Recall Potion, etc., the player can teleport away from the Lunatic Cultist and it will despawn.
- If the player teleports away before the Lunatic Cultist's spawning animation finishes, the tablet will finish its animation while the Lunatic Cultist despawns.
- The Lunatic Cultist will always spawn at the Dungeon entrance's original location, regardless of modifications (similar to the four Cultists), meaning that if the four Cultists are teleported or otherwise moved away, and then killed there, the Lunatic Cultist will still spawn, and instantly despawn if the player is far away from the Dungeon entrance.
- Removing the floor and ceiling at the entrance to the Dungeon (where the Old Man spawns) will prevent the Cultists from spawning.
|The real Lunatic Cultist (left) and the decoy (right).|
- The player should avoid defeating the Lunatic Cultist if they are not yet ready for the Lunar Events. Beating the Lunatic Cultist causes the Lunar Events to begin immediately, and there is no way to de-summon them thereafter (aside from defeating them).
- The real Lunatic Cultist can be distinguished from its decoys in a number of ways:
- The real Cultist is the only one with a health bar.
- The real Cultist has pointed eyes, while the decoys' eyes are perfectly round.
- The real Cultist has a line on its hood while the decoys do not.
- The real Cultist does not emit light, while the decoys do; however, this may only be apparent if fought at night.
- Using a Hunter Potion will only highlight the real Cultist.
- Using Autopause grants as much time as needed for identifying the real Cultist.
- Attacking a decoy Cultist is not a bad idea if the player uses the Vampire Knives. The resulting Phantasm Dragon is very long and may be easily targeted to restore some life.
- Many of the Lunatic Cultist's attacks can be blocked by hiding behind solid blocks. A weapon that attacks through blocks or a yoyo can be used to deal damage.
- There is little reason to farm the Lunatic Cultist itself, as its only non-vanity drops are Greater Healing Potions and the Ancient Manipulator, the latter one has no value and only one is needed. However, defeating it is the only way to access the Lunar Events and Lunar Fragments.
- If the lock on mechanic selects the Lunatic Cultist as target, the target reset after each time it teleports.
- The Lunatic Cultist's attacks appear to be based on the four Celestial Pillars from the Lunar Events.
- It is a common belief that the Lunatic Cultist's design was inspired by Crowno's set. However, according to Crowno, the Lunatic Cultist was designed first.
- The boss' appearance resembles a plague doctor costume, which was an outfit worn by plague doctors in the 17th century intended to protect them from airborne diseases.
- It is the smallest boss and the only one without an awakening message.
- In addition to this, an unimplemented achievement refers to it as the Insane Cultist.
- The Lunatic Cultist has an Expert Mode Treasure Bag in Terraria's game files, but it is currently unobtainable as it does not actually drop it.
- This is the only boss to use music specifically titled after another boss, Golem, and the only boss whose music starts before the boss itself spawns, making it easier to obtain the Music Box.
- The term lunatic is nowadays usually used as an informal synonym for insane, mentally ill, etc. The word itself, however, originated from the fact that diseases were historically thought to have been caused by the moon, tying in with the moon-themed events following this boss.
- The Lunatic Cultist, Brain of Cthulhu, Moon Lord, King Slime, Queen Slime, Empress of Light, and, in Expert Mode, Duke Fishron are the only bosses that can teleport.
- The Lunatic Cultist's decoys also have map icons.
- When the Lunatic Cultist first spawns, glowing particles start flowing to it from the Mysterious Tablet and it makes a noise that sounds like a heavily edited voice clip. It is randomly chosen from the following: .
- After this, it makes a laugh-like sound and tilts up its mask and shakes, to appear as if it is laughing at the player.
- Oddly, when the Lunatic Cultist is killed, the status message "Celestial creatures are invading!" appears before "Lunatic Cultist has been defeated!", probably hinting that the summoning ritual might have finished before the Lunatic Cultist died.
- When the Lunatic Cultist despawns after a player has teleported away from it, it plays its dying animation.
- Wearing the Lunatic Cultist Mask and the Lunar Cultist Robe causes the player to look very similar to the Lunatic Cultist, however, the boss is still taller than the player, and is therefore distinguishable.
- The Lunatic Cultist is one of the few bosses in which all of its attacks' damage, other than contact damage, do not increase linearly in Master Mode.
- It is the only non-event boss not to have an Expert Mode-exclusive drop.
- The Lunatic Cultist has the most types of "servants" out of all the bosses, totaling at four.
- The Bestiary entry for the Lunatic Cultist: "A fanatical leader hell-bent on bringing about the apocalypse by reviving the great Cthulhu through behind-the-scenes scheming."
- Desktop 1.4.4:
- Health scaling factor in Expert/Master increased from 1.25 to 1.5.
- Final Health values have increased from 32k/40k/51k to 32k/48k/61k.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- No longer respawns while the Moon Lord is spawning.
- Can no longer spawn during important events like boss fights, invasions etc.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 220.127.116.11: Introduced.