|AI Type||Martian Probe AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 399
The Martian Probe is a rare Hardmode, post-Golem flying enemy that can spawn anywhere in the outer two thirds of the map, most commonly in the space and surface layers. The Martian Probe initially appears with a green light. When it detects the player, the light turns red, and it attempts to escape. If allowed to, it initiates the Martian Madness event.
It is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
- Only one Martian Probe can exist at a time.
- Martian Probes will not spawn if a boss is alive somewhere in the world, or during certain events. This includes the Goblin Army, Frost Legion, Pirate Invasion, Martian Madness, Lunar Events, Old One's Army, Pumpkin Moon, and Frost Moon.
- Standing in front of most types of background walls will also prevent Martian Probes from spawning. The following walls will still allow Martian Probes to spawn.
- In addition to increasing the spawn rate, using a Water Candle will also nearly triple the Martian Probe's spawn chance.
- The spawn rate of the Martian Probe is reduced significantly after Martian Madness is completed once.
- Martian Probes spawn more frequently in the Space layer.Verify
- The Martian Probe cannot fly through blocks until it spots a player.
- Minions do not deliberately attack the Martian Probe, but those that deal contact damage may unintentionally kill it.
- If the player follows the Martian Probe up to the sky until it escapes, it disappears before reaching the top of the map and the Martian Madness event will not occur.
- Its Bestiary entry will not unlock if allowed to escape.
- The Martian Probe has no means of attack besides contact damage. Its only purpose is to serve as a trigger for the event.
- Homing projectiles will ignore Martian Probes.
- Martian Probes can spawn above the top world border, meaning they can detect the player without being seen.
- Effects that increase enemy spawn rates, such as Water Candles and Battle Potions, as well as events like a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse, will give the Martian Probe more chances to spawn.
- The Bestiary entry for the Martian Probe: "Sensing growing power on the planet, otherworldly beings send space-age technology to scan for advanced lifeforms."
- Desktop 22.214.171.124: Fixed a bug that prevented Martian Madness and other invasions from triggering when they should.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199:
- Desktop 188.8.131.52:
- Desktop 184.108.40.206: Health increased from 150 to 500.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Introduced. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Introduced. ()
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Introduced.