(Redirected from Spectral Gastropod)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Old-gen console and
Spectral GastropodHardmode exclusive
|Banner||Spectral Gastropod Banner|
- Internal NPC ID: 1007
|AI Type||Hovering AI|
50100150 (Pink Laser)
- Item (Quantity)Rate
- Gel (5–10)100%
- Internal NPC ID: 122
The Gastropod is a flying Hardmode slime that spawns frequently at the surface of The Hallow at night, and fires Pink Lasers which emit a faint light.
The Old-gen console version and Nintendo version also feature the exclusive Spectral Gastropod variant. The Spectral Gastropod fires a Pink Laser, similar to that of the regular gastropod.
Like most other slimes, the Gastropod will be passive towards any player with the Royal Gel accessory equipped.
- Gastropods will enter water to chase the player, and can continue flying and firing while submerged, unlike many other flying enemies.
- Gastropod lasers will keep traveling as long as they are in sight.
- Striking the Gastropod while it is preparing its laser will interrupt the attack and prevent it from firing.
- Gastropods ignore the Shroomite/Vortex armor's set bonus.
- They can still fire lasers at stealthy/invisible players, but it will not move towards the player during this time.
- Gastropods do not look like slimes, despite technically being considered slimes.
- While they are considered slimes, they do not drop the Slime Staff.
- Newer Hardmode players may want to avoid the Hallow's surface at night entirely, as Gastropods fire frequently, spawn often, and their lasers are difficult to dodge – especially when more than one Gastropod is on the screen (and there usually are). In Expert Mode, the Hallow is less dangerous at night as players can equip the Royal Gel.
- Gastropods drop much more Gel than any other non-boss slime, making them useful for gathering Flamethrower ammo. Using the Flamethrower to kill Gastropods is fast and will yield more Gel than the weapon consumes.
- The Bee Gun and similar weapons are effective at preventing Gastropods from firing, as its bees can attack continuously, leaving no pause for Gastropods to fire.
- Real-life gastropoda are a class of mollusk that includes snails and slugs.
- Sometimes Gastropods can be seen flying in the Hallow background at night as ambience.
- The Bestiary entry for the Gastropod: "Touched by the blessing, these nocturnal slimes evolved into a levitating snail-like creature which spits powerful beams of light."
- This entry explains that the Gastropods are Hallow-enhanced nocturnal slimes, though it is not clear what connection these have with real-life gastropods. Two possible reasons are that both have very soft and jelly-like bodies, and that both are said to leave behind a trail of ooze-like substances as they move.
- Desktop 1.4.4: Now have some built in inaccuracy when firing, reducing their likelihood of hitting the player from long distances.
- Desktop 184.108.40.206:
- Now has a chance to drop Chocolate Chip Cookie.
- No longer has a chance to drop the Blessed Apple.
- Desktop 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 220.127.116.11: Now has a chance to drop the Blessed Apple.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console 1.0.933.1: Removed Spectral Gastropod. ()
- Console 1.0.750.0: Removed Spectral Gastropod. ()
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile 18.104.22.168: Removed Spectral Gastropod.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.