|AI Type||No AI|
- Internal NPC ID: 105
The Goblin Tinkerer is an NPC that sells several unique items and provides the reforge function. He can be acquired after a Goblin Army has been defeated, spawning randomly in open areas in the Cavern layer. He will appear as the stationary Bound Goblin at first, and talking to him in this state will free him. If the Bound Goblin is killed, he will still be able to respawn afterwards; if the Goblin Tinkerer NPC is killed, he will move in again after some time as long as there is a vacant house.
The Goblin Tinkerer's reforge option allows the player to randomize the modifier for a weapon or accessory, which can make the item better or worse than it was originally. Reforges cost one-third of the item's current value, which can also be affected by its current modifier. The reforge cost is also affected by the Goblin Tinkerer's happiness, and can be decreased by equipping a Discount Card or Greedy Ring.
On the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version, when threatened by enemies, the Goblin Tinkerer will defend himself by throwing Spiky Balls, which behave like those thrown by the player and deal 15 / 22 / 26 damage at the start of the game, and (on the Desktop version, Console version, and Mobile version) as players progress he will gain various stat increases.
The Bound Goblin is one of the few entities that can be detected by the Lifeform Analyzer or its upgrades.
|Rocket Boots||5||Always available.|
|Tinkerer's Workshop||10||Always available.|
|Grappling Hook||2||Always available.|
|Spiky Ball||80||Always available.|
|Any Pylon||10||When in a specific biome and is happy enough.|
For more information, see NPC happiness.
When submerged in Shimmer, the Goblin Tinkerer will transform into his Shimmered form. This has no impact on gameplay or dialogue and is only a visual change. He can be returned to his classic look by submerging him in Shimmer again.
- Before the Goblin Tinkerer has been rescued, the Bound Goblin periodically spawns near the player as they travel the Cavern layer, despawning if they get too far away. Therefore, spending hours clearing the map and searching every tunnel is unnecessary.
- Consuming a Hunter Potion will cause the Bound Goblin to light up, making him easier to find.
- While the Bound Goblin can be found in any open area underground, bound NPCs may be easier for players to find in the Dungeon, as it is an expansive and easily navigated underground space. NPCs can also be found in the Jungle Temple.
- As a cost-saving measure, it is beneficial to make the Goblin Tinkerer as happy as possible, so his reforges cost less.
The Goblin Tinkerer may have any of the following names:
When Mechanic is present:
When Stylist is present:
During the day:
During a Party:
When Tier 1 of the Old One's Army has been defeated:
During a Windy Day:
During Rain :
During a Thunderstorm:
When in a Graveyard:
When far from home:
When in a sparse area:
When in the Caverns:
When in the Jungle:
When in an Evil biome or the Dungeon:
When near the Mechanic:
When near the Dye Trader:
When near the Clothier:
When near the Stylist:
When near the Princess:
- He is the only goblin who has short but pointy ears.
- As evidenced by some of his quotes, the Goblin Tinkerer has a crush on the Mechanic, and, referenced by some of her quotes, she has a crush on him too.
- This is also proven by his happiness quote, "<Name of Mechanic> makes my cardiac core function improperly, it appears I love how that feels!"
- It is possible that his dislike of the Clothier is a reference to this, similar to how the Mechanic hates him.
- The Mechanic and the Goblin Tinkerer can be seen together in the Terrarian Gothic painting.
- The quote, "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots." is a reference to the Xzibit "Yo Dawg" meme. It is also a reference to how the Tinkerer's Workshop can combine Rocket Boots with running boots (Hermes Boots, Flurry Boots, Dunerider Boots, or Sailfish Boots).
- His quote, "I'm working on a Photon Sack. It's an invention to trap all the ghasts lurking around outside!" is likely a reference to the 1984 American supernatural comedy movie Ghostbusters, wherein the protagonists wield Proton Packs to trap ghosts.
- One of his names, "Dalek", is a reference to the British science fiction television show Doctor Who. The Daleks are an antagonistic race famed for their advances in technology and desire to exterminate all "inferior" beings.
- One of his names, "Gnudar", is possibly a reference to the American animated science fiction sitcom Futurama, as there is an alien known by the same name featured as an antagonist in one of the movies.
- The quote "YES, gold is stronger than iron. What are they teaching these humans nowadays?" is a reference to the fact that gold is stronger than iron in Terraria (for instance, Gold armor provides more defense than Iron armor), though iron is the more durable element of the two in real life.
- Unlike other goblins, the Goblin Tinkerer does not drop his weapon (Spiky Balls) if he dies. Ironically, he is also the only goblin to use Spiky Balls as a weapon.
- The quote, "Goblins are surprisingly easy to anger. In fact, they could start a war over cloth!" is a reference to the Goblin Battle Standard, one of the ways to summon the Goblin Army event.
- The Bestiary entry for the Goblin Tinkerer: "Exiled from the rest of goblinkind for being an intelligent pacifist, the Tinkerer sells tools for combining accessories into stronger versions."
- Desktop 1.3.5: Fixed Goblin Tinkerer being slightly smaller than intended.
- Desktop 1.3.4: Added quote about Etherian Goblins.
- Desktop 126.96.36.199: Sprite updated.
- Desktop 1.1.1: Now can be untied with Autopause enabled.
- Desktop 1.1: Introduced.
- Console-Release: Introduced.
- Switch 1.0.711.6: Introduced.
- Mobile-Release: Introduced.
- 3DS-Release: Introduced.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Information taken from the Desktop 188.8.131.52 source code, method
Terraria.NPC.cs. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 184.108.40.206.
- ↑ Information taken from the Desktop 220.127.116.11 source code, method
Terraria.Main.cs. The relevant part is the
if (InReforgeMenu)block. There may be inaccuracies, as the current Desktop version is 18.104.22.168.